Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Years ago when using a radar detector or the like or anything that you plug into the cigarette for power you could cut it, splice it, and run it to the fuse box for that item to come on when the car is turned on and off when the car is turned off.

I tried tonight but to no avail I could not get it to work. I am hooking up the FM Mod Satelite Radio and want to run it to the fuse box instead of taking up space on the dash. Is there a fuse I am missing or what. I di dnot try every one, just the ones I thought would work.

Has anyone else done this with the newer stangs. I have a 2005 V6 Premium Convert.

HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I hooked up some gauges a few weeks ago, and tapped into the Hazard flasger switch to get to a Start/Run powered circuit. Terminal 3 (Yellow) at the hazard switch is the Start/Run power. There is aground just above the driver's right knee that I used for my gauges (Pillar pod Volt and Oil PSI). There is fuse panel behind the passenger's kick panel if that is more convenient. Most all of the power circuits inside the car are either Start/Run or Aux power.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How did you get to the hazard flasher switch, and where is it exactly. Also, am I to wrap the spliced wires around the fuse as in the old days, or wrap one and ground the other one.

I guess I am having a brain fart.....Thanks!

Jason

·
Registered
767 Posts
Black06 said:
I hooked up some gauges a few weeks ago, and tapped into the Hazard flasger switch to get to a Start/Run powered circuit. Terminal 3 (Yellow) at the hazard switch is the Start/Run power. There is aground just above the driver's right knee that I used for my gauges (Pillar pod Volt and Oil
PSI). There is fuse panel behind the passenger's kick panel if that is more convenient. Most all of the power circuits inside the car are either Start/Run or Aux power.
OK....so if you hazard lights work with the car off and the key out, then how is that a switched circuit?

·
Registered
829 Posts
StarChyldd said:
Years ago when using a radar detector or the like or anything that you plug into the cigarette for power you could cut it, splice it, and run it to the fuse box for that item to come on when the car is turned on and off when the car is turned off.

I tried tonight but to no avail I could not get it to work. I am hooking up the FM Mod Satelite Radio and want to run it to the fuse box instead of taking up space on the dash. Is there a fuse I am missing or what. I di dnot try every one, just the ones I thought would work.

Has anyone else done this with the newer stangs. I have a 2005 V6 Premium Convert.

HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Gosh, sorry to reply so late...(you are likely done with this project).
When I put in my heated seat units they had little fuse tap thingyies that went into an unused terminal in the fuse block that are keyed on/off. Take off the right kick panel and you will find the fuse panel. There are some straight shunts coming out without any fuses on them. I used two of them on the '06. I also found a tap in there for my radar detector so I never have to turn it on/off (runs with key now). If you want a picture, I can rustle you one up.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pictures would be great, thanks!!!

Gig4Fun said:
Gosh, sorry to reply so late...(you are likely done with this project).
When I put in my heated seat units they had little fuse tap thingyies that went into an unused terminal in the fuse block that are keyed on/off. Take off the right kick panel and you will find the fuse panel. There are some straight shunts coming out without any fuses on them. I used two of them on the '06. I also found a tap in there for my radar detector so I never have to turn it on/off (runs with key now). If you want a picture, I can rustle you one up.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The hazard flasher switch terminal is also the Pass Air bag deactivation switch, traction control switch, and traction control indicator. The connector is an 8 terminal switch, so there are many circuits in the connector. I pulled my glove box down to reach in and get to the switch from behind, and spliced in a new connection that leads over to my gauges. By doing this way, my new gauges dim when I dim the dash lights, and the ignition power is already fused by a "non-essential" circuit (the traction control). I could have run on over to the passenger side fuse block, but since I was pulling my illumination from the message center dummy switch, I was already in the neighborhood.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I will post one tomorrow.

StarChyldd said:
Pictures would be great, thanks!!!

·
Registered
829 Posts
Falcon_744 said:
I know it has been a month but do you think you could get a picture detailing the keyed empty fuse slots?
yes I will. I am sorry. I forget things like this regularly. I just told my wife to see to it that I do this before bed..... believe me...she WILL remind me!

·
Registered
829 Posts
Falcon_744 said:
I know it has been a month but do you think you could get a picture detailing the keyed empty fuse slots?
Here it is:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts