Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to this whole car thing, I lived in a city and public transit was my main for years, I know absolutely nothing, but my Older Brother went off to Iraq in the Army and left me his 1969 Mustang.
I don't know much else about it or even how to tell the things about it.
I have a lot of questions but for starters:

How do I tell what kind of mustang it is?

I was asked if it is an "R" series, what does this mean?

it has an original engine but how do I know what type it is?

it mentioned there is a "Marti report" in it somewhere. what is that?

I didn't take care of it for a year and the floorboard are now rusting, is that hard/expensive to fix?

Thank you for any help and or advice you can give me, I'll be on here often and I am taking some classes so I can have a better understanding and do some work myself. I'll load some pictures when I can.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Hello MyFirstRodeo,
First - - welome to the forums. This is a great place to learn.

I will try to answer some of your questions:

1. - You will learn the different models in time. It could be a coupe, fastback, could be a grande or perhaps a Mach 1. Basically if the rear window slants down and is a little long - it it a fastback. They made several models of fastbacks.
Look on the dash near the glove compartment and see if it has a plate that says grande or Mach. Also on the front fenders it may say what the style is. If it si a MAch 1 - -it will have stripes if original. If you post a picture we will help

You can also determine the body style from the vehicle numbers on the plate. The plate is located on the dash close to the window or on the door where it opens - -if it is still there.

2. -An R series - -the people are asking if it is a race model. Every year they make high performance models for the motor. Most people refer to an R code as a 289 high performance motor. Your car has likely got a 302 or a 351 or perhaps larger

3. - Engine size. It may say on the air cleaner. It is located on the top of the motor.
If you post a picture we can tell you. In time, you will be able to tell by looking at the motor.

4. - "Marti report" - -this is a document (paper) that your brother may have purchased. It will tell you about the car . It mainly will tell you when and where the car was built and what options came with it. Marty bought the records of the purchases of the Mustangs. So it is a document that tells you about your car.

5. - Rusting - -depends on the extent of the rust. It may be possible to clean the rust and treat it. You would have to post a picture so we can see. You may be able to sand or grind the rust and then coat it with one of several products. Again - it depends on how bad it is. On ce it turns to rot - you may have to replace the floor boards

You will get loads of help here. The best advice I can offer is to continue to learn. Get books - there are many. Talk to car collectors and perhaps go to car meets and shows. Talk to mechanics.

I hope your brother is safe and well. Tell him Thanks for his service and helping our country.

Print Dad

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Hello MyFirstRodeo,
I was thinking about your situation and thought I'd give you a few pieces of advice

1. - Add gas to the car and use "Stabil" or some gas additive like that. Todays gas has a shelf life of about a month. It will break down in the tank and also in the lines etc.

2. - Start the car at least every other week. The worst thingyou can do is let the motor sit. If you have a license, drive the car at least once a month to circulate fluids.

Moving the car even 10 feet will help the car a lot. DO NOT rev the motor when it is cold. Let her warm up and keep treating the gas.

Print Dad

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought fastback was just a type of rear window, it has bad paint but there is what looks like it could be an M on the side of it so safe guess I'm lookin at a mach1 ? Also has a groove in the hood (if that helps)

I think I may just buy a digital camera so I can make this easier for me and easier for y'all to help me.

the engine is rather super dirty, can I clean it with soap and water to see what it is?

If I find this "Marti" report I will know the engine size and what options it has? (spawns another question but we'll get there when I find it)

I used the wrong term then, it has rot on one side, the other is surface rust, but I know if I stood there to get in the rear drivers side my foot would go through the floorboards

I can add a couple bucks to the gas tank and I don't know if I have ran it for the year I've had it. (I was hoping he'd be back by now). it doesn't start but it sounds like it can.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh and I'll pass on the good wishes the next time we speak, it's always nice to see civilians that care:bigthumbsup. he is the one who pointed me towards this site in the first place :yelpleased:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found out through private message that when I popped the hood, the groove in the hood lets a ram fit there. (isn't dodge ram?) :im confused:

·
Registered
612 Posts
Hi MyFirstRodeo,

Welcome to AFM. Yes getting a camera is going to be your best Friend, believe me I know I just started my project on the 10-09-2010 and the people here are great, Take a couple of days and read post back a few months on talk and teck. that will help you some, write notes for yourself, if you like a post create a shortcut that way you can find it again easily,
Don't forget to read your post a couple of times before you send it and spell check. I thinks this helps me because I might get my point a acrossed a little better. But that just me.

welcome take care,

Dion

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Ram is a shortend generic term for "Ram Air". This would imply that the hood has a scoop. If the scoop/s are functional, then it helps create a more positve pressure at the intake (more power). If they are not functional and just for looks, then the front of the scoop will be blocked off.

·
Registered
386 Posts
People may be asking you if it is an "R-Code". They are referring to the type of engine. An R Code in 1969 would be a 428 Cobra Jet engine with Ram Air. it would have a hole in the hood where the top of the air cleaner would stick out and shake a sthe engine ran; also called a shaker hood.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
lairify some slang and help me with my 1969 mustang please?

Hello MyFirstRodeo,

I am glad to see some repsonses on this post. You'll be fine just don't try to rush to learn everything all at once.

Look at these pictures I got from Google:

The blue car is a coupe
The white is a fast-back also known as Sports roof
The red is a MAch 1.

I does get a little confusing at first. So there is a Fastback and then a Mach 1 which is a fastback with some additional features like the side stripe on the door.

Does your hood havce a whole in it when opened.

Hope this helps

Print Dad

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the tips NewtoPonys

Sick467 you totally clarified that for me.:yup: I thought it was for looks my whole life. I think mine is real, it's attached to the engine. and the front *does* open

GtJoe - it's SUPPOSED to rattle like that when I run it:?: (I thought that meant something was wrong with it.)

Ted- It's good to know that wasn't my fault, but I feel partially responsible since I do live in Florida and I kept it outside for way too long. (11 months)

PrintDad- Can I shorten that to "Dad" ? Thanks for the pics :bigthumbsup and Mine is like the red one I looked for numbers on the door but mine are either worn off or just not there :( (Ithought it would help). yes, it has a hole in the hood, I guess my terminology sucks (rust/rot grove/hole but i'll learn)

·
Registered
88 Posts
I looked up your profile and can see the town that you live in. I Googled "Mustang Club" and cross referenced your town...you have an active club that meets at Hooters and they also have a Facebook page. These guys and gals would be very happy to give you eyes-on information and provide you with local assistance (at least they should be). I ahev found the local clubs to be very helpful to me. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
First I trust your brother is doing well?
Good luck to him!

Put up some pics of the car.....this thread is like a mix of Pictionary, charades and simon says all wrapped up in one.:laughlitt

·
Registered
1,402 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
THANK YOU BEAST MASTER! I Started to hang out with those people at hooters I had to ride my bike there but it's kinda close to home, someone gave me a lift home and by the look on their face and what they said I've got something good. he's bringing a camera to my house for me so I can get some pictures for you guys. and YES I figured out what I'm looking at A 1969 mustang Cobra Jet mach one:bigthumbsup He said some other stuff but I don't remember. but I know what it is now!:kooky: :yelpleased:

·
Registered
612 Posts
Hi Brain,

Good to hear that you got a hold of some stangers close to you, it will help you out a lot.

Ill be waiting to see some pics of you ride.

Tell your brother hi for me and THANKS. I was a Sea Bee in the Navy. Now I have to take down all my military plaques and put up mustang stuff, lololo

Take care,

Dion

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
69 CobraJet? :worship:worship:worship that is impressive. Cant wait till you get some pictures

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the good wishes, I included pics of most of your cars in a letter I wrote to him with a little description about all of you guys and sent some best hopes and good health messages. I think he'll be happy I'm trying to fix his car up before he comes back. (always staying positive)

I seem to know a LOT of military guys that bought old mustangs and restore them. is it common or something? Mustang club meeting tomorrow I should have pics by this weekend if it all goes well

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
MyfirstRodeo..... GO BUY A CAMERA!!! you're going to need it for documenting your work and well for bragging rights as well. Why do you not want to buy a camera?:confused:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.