Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1967 Mustang with a 302/C4 Auto. I want to put in a 5 speed manual. I found a donor 1996 blown headgasket V6 3.8L Mustang with a 5 speed.

Q. Can I swap this transmission into the classic?

I read in the 94-04 Haynes manual that 1996 4.6L had the T45 and all "others" transmissions were T5's is this true?

I looked everywhere on the internet to verify that the 96 V6 had the T5 but I can't find anything. I also read in Mustang Monthly that 94-95 5 speed wouldn't work in the classic mustang because the input shaft was too long but the article said nothing about the 96. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
895 Posts
1994-1997 Ford Mustangs with 3.8 V6 did come with a T5, but it will not bolt directly up, you will need to change the input shaft and bearing retainer.

D & D Perfomace in MI at 248-735-6220; they stock both parts you need to install the 3.8 V6 T5 to a classic V8.
Input Shaft Part # AG6
Bearing Retainer Part # AC3

You will still need a bell housing and conversion kit. The conversion kit will give you a crossmember, transmission slip yoke, trans mount, and depending on the bell housing you are using a bell housing adaptor plate.

You can use a 1983-1993 Ford Mustang T5 Bell Housing, or a early model 4 Speed bell housing. We manufacuture a conversion kit for both types of bell housings, and also deal with recondition bell housings. Both are avaliable at a number of our dealers around the country. For info on a dealer near you, you can always PM or e-mail me.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks

Wow, Thanks for the information, I will start looking for a bell housing this weekend. I got the tranny for free so I guess any cost for the conversion kit, shaft, and retainer bearing won't be too bad. Thanks again for the information.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts