Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How often can I clay bar? Last time was 6 mo ago...

advise is appreciated

·
Registered
37 Posts
if ur using the clay bar for water spots well dont
i have 05 black gt i had alot of water spots i took the car to detaling and i paid $180 for buffer the car out.
and they put clear cot on it too
i used clay bar and i had some scraches on the car and its not good for paint in years or so u will see the cley bar spots not shining anymore
but its up to u

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i am not using the clar bar for water spots...my paint is starting to look/feel dingy, and i want to clear that up.

anyone have any idea or recommendations for intervals between clay barring?

·
Registered
13,170 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes, i use meguires gold...

the problem is that i work not far from an airport, and the crap from the jet's, along with the usual airborne particles sit on the paint all day, with the California sun baking it in. i did three coats of waxing the last time.

·
Registered
816 Posts
karazuba said:

the problem is that i work not far from an airport, and the crap from the jet's, along with the usual airborne particles sit on the paint all day, with the California sun baking it in. i did three coats of waxing the last time.
You sound like a prime candidate for a car cover! :wavey

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
karazuba said:

That crap sucks! good for wheels and your older hunk o junk tho.
my .02.

Or your kids Fisher Price Power Wheels car. My kid waxed his with my Meg. Gold. He liked it. Was extremely full of static charge, but im sure thats due to the plastic.

·
Registered
483 Posts
How long do you plan to keep the mustang?

If you plan on keeping it a long time, consider estimating what all the wax, buffing, detailing (especially professional detailing), etc. will cost you over that time, man-hours spent cleaning & detailing, and dollars spent on products. Add that up and consider buying a beater to drive to work with instead. Leave the stang in the garage, or under a car cover safe at home and take it out at night, weekends, or whenever. You'll save the car from excess mileage, wear 'n tear, road debris.. you name it.

~Mo

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok, thanks for the advise, but can someone PLEASE, OH PLEASE answer the original question--

"how often can i clay bar a car?"

PS...you buff a car out. you don't buffer a car out, unless you are planning on using the car between contrasting objects, or as part of a chemical solution

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
karazuba said:
ok, thanks for the advise, but can someone PLEASE, OH PLEASE answer the original question--

PS...you buff a car out. you don't buffer a car out, unless you are planning on using the car between contrasting objects, or as part of a chemical solution
- use the Zaino link you were provided; email them and Sal will answer your question.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Use the clay as much as you want, every day if you want. The most important consideration w/ clay is the grit that it picks from the paint. Your car is new so it shouldn't be that bad even considering where you park. I would recommend that if you wax your car 4 times a year do the clay at that time. At that time do clay first to clean the paint and then a polish (if necessary for swirl marks), then follow with a coat of wax for protection. :smoke:

·
Registered
260 Posts
karazuba said:

Some kids tagged my $500 beater Isuzu pickup truck with spray paint. Gol-darn little rascals! Anyway, I used a clay bar to remove the paint a few days later. The point? Clay barring removes more than just grit. No one can say how much it will remove from your car, that all depends on how long you rub and with how much elbow grease. Me, I'd go easy.

Stoenr said:
That crap sucks! good for wheels and your older hunk o junk tho. Or your kids Fisher Price Power Wheels car. My kid waxed his with my Meg. Gold. He liked it. Was extremely full of static charge, but im sure thats due to the plastic.
Hey Stoenr, that's a GREAT TIP!!!!! Tell ya what you DON'T wanna do tho......Mequiar's Wax is NOT good for skateboards!!! Did a great wash and polish/wax job on my kid's board and the results when he got back on it.....were not......good.........

·
Registered
829 Posts
It will remove particulate and paint... clearcoat first. From asking the question you are at least thinking about how thick your paint is and when it will be gone right? I would say when you start to see color in the water it has been done enough! The day will come if you rely on it. I use it to remedy an "issue". DO what you can to AVOID using it. That's my opinion. I have a lot of history behind the answer too.

Russ

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
THANKS!!!!!!

my reason for asking was that i know that a clay bar does wear down the paint/clear coat...the 4 times a year number is certainly more than i could imagine doing (max twice a year, i'm thinking)

·
Registered
61 Posts
clay bar

Quickly and safely removes contamination. Makes your paint feel smooth as glass!

Z-18 ClayBar™ is a pliable, synthetic bar that quickly and safely removes imbedded contamination from all glass and painted surfaces. Used for years by automobile manufacturers and auto body shops, paint cleaning clay is an excellent choice for removing contamination that cannot be removed using conventional cleaning methods.

Z-18 ClayBar™ is non-abrasive and works like no cleaner, compound or chemical can. When used as directed, it is safe for use on all paint finishes.

Use Z-18 ClayBar™ to help remove the following:

1. Rail dust - Tiny, sharp bare metal shavings that can adhere and imbed into the paint finish and cause serious damage when left untreated. Over 70% of new vehicles are transported from the factory using the rail system. In many cases, new cars are stored near a railroad and becomes infected with rail dust.
  2. Brake Dust - Similar to rail dust, brake dust is also in the form of tiny, sharp metal shavings. In recent years, asbestos brake pads were replaced with metallic brake pads, which are actually brake pads made from tiny metal or metallic shavings. Anytime a vehicle is braking; brake dust is disbursed into the air and onto the paint finish. Since the brake dust is now actually tiny particles of bare metal, this form of brake dust can seriously damage the paint finish when left untreated.
  3. Industrial Fallout - A general term used for pollution and can be found in many forms. Eventually, pollution settles onto the paint finish of all vehicles and can cause serious damage when left untreated.
  4. Tree Sap, Road Tar, Bug Residue, Paint Overspray, and Acid Rain Deposits -- These contaminants adhere to or imbed into the paint finish. Left untreated, they will cause permanent damage to your car's paint work by staining and weakening the protective properties.
Z-18 ClayBar™ is highly recommended as the ultimate way to clean and prepare your car's finish prior to using the Zaino Show Car Polish system.:eyebulge:

·
Registered
260 Posts
Dang me, that Z-18 ClayBar™-thingy sounds like the cat's meow now don't it!?!?!

·
Registered
126 Posts
It's all just too much work for me.

I just want to apply one polish/wax and be done with it - for at least a month.

I'm not going to wash, use wax remover, clay, polish/glaze, and wax, and double layer wax - i've got a life, i'm sorry :rolleyes:

I love my 05 GT as must as you do folks but I can't be spending 5 hours a week on it.

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts