Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I have very bad water spots on my black stang, so I decided to buy Mothers california gold clay bar pack, with the showtime lubricant, 2 bars, and microfiber towel. I wanted to test on my hood, so I flattened the clay, lightly sprayed my hood, and the bar one spray on that, then made about 4-5 section passes, and as I looked closely, the clay wasnt fixing all the water spots, I could tell both as I was doing it, and after I wiped it clean. Could this be because I previously lightly waxed over it? Maybe also because I washed with a wash n wax (meguiars)?? or do I just need a more aggressive clay bar than that?

·
Registered
240 Posts
1. you don't want to lightly spray the area...you wanna keep the surface and clay lubricated at ALL times

2. when you clay you shouldn't be lightly rubbing the clay on the surface...you wanna actually be scrubbing the surface (it won't harm your paint)

From Clay to Wax - A Step by Step Video Tutorial! - Adam's Polishes Forums

watch the second video

when you're done claying, move to polishing and then waxing and you should be fine:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the vid. Yea I was afraid to scrub, Ill try that this weekend :bigthumbsup good to know I can REALLY lube the paint, I was just lubing a decent amount, he was pouring it on hahahha

·
Registered
210 Posts
Everyone shared some good suggestions, but I wanted to let the TS know that even if you clay and afterwards you don't see an improvement, you'll need to have it machine polished. The hard water will eat at the paint over time and using an abrasive polish to level off the defects will be the only way to fix the problem. Some glazes may fill it in temporarily, but you probably want to get a more permanent fix.

Give us a call if you need help with anything else!

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I used Meguiars SwirlX on my hood, it helped quite a bit and I applied it by hand. Ive never used a machine before so I dont really want to risk anything like marring or burning my paint

·
Registered
21 Posts
I used Meguiars SwirlX on my hood, it helped quite a bit and I applied it by hand. Ive never used a machine before so I dont really want to risk anything like marring or burning my paint
It's very easy to learn how to use a DA polisher such as the Porter Cable, especially with the amount of information available on the internet with write ups and videos. It's going to very hard to remove anything by hand using a swirl remover. It'll take less time, have better results and you'll go a longer way with less product using a DA Polisher. If you would like to give us a call we can talk about which pads and products to use if you'd like to give it a shot. Trust me, the first time you use it you'll never look back.

Matt

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oh I believe you, they look very easy to use. I was looking at the Meguiars new two step correction system with their g1000 (i think thats the model number of the DA) tool.... looked very easy and fun to use. I am still considering getting it, but I am still concerned about me possibly burning my paint or marring it somehow (although all the vids make it look very simple)

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
a detail expert wouldn't even mess with those procedures til after it was wet sanded with 2000 grit to address orange peel and oxidation on top of the clear:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea I wont be wet sanding anything either...

·
Registered
664 Posts
Yea I wont be wet sanding anything either...
Unfortunatly... That may be the only way to remove the waterspots. A DA orbital CAN NOT burn the paint. I use a rotary,... But have experience and was taught by knowledgable teacher how to use correctly. Wet Sanding is an art. My neighbor has a 91 black Gt, it was painted at MAACO... 2 stage urethane. It had terrible orange peel (bumps)... We spent a weekend wetsanding with 2500 grit, and wheeling it with wool, then foam pads. Turned a $2500 paint job into a $10000 paint job! If you want any help or info...let me know.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Unfortunatly... That may be the only way to remove the waterspots. A DA orbital CAN NOT burn the paint. I use a rotary,... But have experience and was taught by knowledgable teacher how to use correctly. Wet Sanding is an art. My neighbor has a 91 black Gt, it was painted at MAACO... 2 stage urethane. It had terrible orange peel (bumps)... We spent a weekend wetsanding with 2500 grit, and wheeling it with wool, then foam pads. Turned a $2500 paint job into a $10000 paint job! If you want any help or info...let me know.
Do you mean this as in you put a lot more work/labor into it?? Or caused another 7500$ in damage? haha

·
Registered
664 Posts
Do you mean this as in you put a lot more work/labor into it?? Or caused another 7500$ in damage? haha
Sorry... No... I mean it looked awesome!!.. His wife thought we painted it!... But a rotary wheel takes practice.... From what I heard, the Bosch DA orbital works great... But o have never used one.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
how about the meguiars DA? good for a rookie like me??

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
you said though its really hard to damage your paint if you use a DA?

·
Registered
664 Posts
That's what I heard , but I dont know for a fact. I don't want to give you bad info!... Just use plenty of water. You not going too wipe of the compound , polish , glaze, etc. . Your gonna wash it off. Use a little bit of a premium car wash soap, and keep the foam pads wet. You should be ok.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
they all say to wipe clean with a microfiber towel tho

·
Registered
664 Posts
That's not how I was taught. Water is the key to not burning your paint. It can not hurt at first. As you improve your skills, you can use less water.
Make no mistake.... It took me YEARS to get good at it. And if I burn a panel... I can paint it myself. You should definitely take a conservative approach. Water= conservative., I'm thinking you should go buy a junkyard panel and practice first. Trust me... I have screwed up many cars trying to polish them... So I speak from experience !!.... Polishing with a DA is relatively new... So be careful and patient ... Take your time... Don't get discouraged... And USE WATER... Lots and lots of WATER!!

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
haha i just see all these vids about em and people never use water when polishin em

1 - 20 of 21 Posts