Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope I'm not clogging this nice forum here with dumb questions... I apologize in advance...
I want to keep the engine clean and it looks like you just spray it down?? I can't imagine... Don't I have to cover things up and be real careful what gets wet?
Also what about cleaning the underside? Do people do that? Any tips there would be appreciated!

Joe

·
Registered
60 Posts
It depends on how anal you are. Me, I clean the engine really well (brushes and elbow grease) when I wax the car, otherwise I just spray it down. It won't hurt anything to get wet, but make sure the engine is adequately cooled before putting cold water on it. :winks After letting it dry, spray a little tire shine on the hoses and other plastic parts to make it look really nice. The underside -- well, I figure nobody's going to see that, so unless you're going to show the car, skip it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I usually clean my engine in the spring with simple green and then keep it wiped down during show season. Stays looking really nice.

But as others have said, depends on how anal you are.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Simple Green works good. Gunk and the like has shown that if not cleaned off thoroughly can corrode the connectors.

You should have a compressor to blow off standing water and the connectors and sensors. There is a lot of nook and crannies water likes to hide in on these motors. You really don't want to allow the water to steam off. It may not effect anything now, but down the road it can, over time it can build up.

And I'd do the bottom as well along with the chassis.

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
The manual shows a couple water keep out zones, mainly the electrical items, fuse box, alternator.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Simple Green is good but it leaves a slight residue. I use Purple Power...........

Just an alternative suggestion.

Jeff :winks

·
Registered
71 Posts
I used to own an airplane (a Cessna 172) which, of course, was mostly aluminum. A number of aviation publications stated that Simple Green was corrosive to aluminum. Since the engine block is aluminum, might not be a good idea to use Simple Green. Seems like I remember something on the label saying that it is not for aluminum...

·
Registered
403 Posts
we use a lot of simple green and 'something' blue at work for misc cleaning- Ive seen a LOT of damaged keyboard membranes on Fanuc CNC/robot controls minutes after wiping down with these cleaners- they seem to shrink up vinyl, especially if mixed 'strong'. I accidentally wiped my hands with simple green one day when we started up a machine, and went back to my programming terminal- by the end of the day the keyboard was discolored and cracked...with so many plastics under the hood, Id worry about anything that even possibly might cause any issues. The ONLY thing I use is fantastik or 409...wether cleaning circuit boards or engine blocks, it does the job. For cleaning circuit boards, far too many things theyve tried at work have caused corrosion over the years- I have NEVER seen any adverse effects from fantastik or 409(409 can tint stuff a little purple though). A buddy of mine that does a lot of CNC board repairs floored me when I saw him dunking PCBs into fantastik, but he was right(as usual), and Ive been sold on it for years. no residue, and dont attack anything, cuts dirt fast...when cleaning boards to repair I usually use a soft bristle paintbrush(bristles cut about half length) to help scrub, blow it dry and done.(none of the above are 'recommended' or perhaps usually warned against, but heck it works for me...). Just my 2 cents.

edit- as far as undercarriage, Im knee deep in mine right now...theres some pics here you might want to look at- dunno if I'm doing right or wrong, but this cars gonna have a fighting chance of surviving more winters than any other Ive ever had...I hope...I love this car!
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?showtopic=42484&pid=609470&st=0&#entry609470

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
I also use 409 for overall cleaning, Zaino Z-12 for plastic parts and Z-14 for rubber parts. Still looks new after 40,000+ miles.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So, there's hope for keeping it new! I really want to keep this car looking as new as long as I can...

I LOVE this car!
Joe

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
ford4v429 said:
we use a lot of simple green and 'something' blue at work for misc cleaning- Ive seen a LOT of damaged keyboard membranes on Fanuc CNC/robot controls minutes after wiping down with these cleaners- they seem to shrink up vinyl, especially if mixed 'strong'. I accidentally wiped my hands with simple green one day when we started up a machine, and went back to my programming terminal- by the end of the day the keyboard was discolored and cracked...with so many plastics under the hood, Id worry about anything that even possibly might cause any issues. The ONLY thing I use is fantastik or 409...wether cleaning circuit boards or engine blocks, it does the job. For cleaning circuit boards, far too many things theyve tried at work have caused corrosion over the years- I have NEVER seen any adverse effects from fantastik or 409(409 can tint stuff a little purple though). A buddy of mine that does a lot of CNC board repairs floored me when I saw him dunking PCBs into fantastik, but he was right(as usual), and Ive been sold on it for years. no residue, and dont attack anything, cuts dirt fast...when cleaning boards to repair I usually use a soft bristle paintbrush(bristles cut about half length) to help scrub, blow it dry and done.(none of the above are 'recommended' or perhaps usually warned against, but heck it works for me...). Just my 2 cents.

edit- as far as undercarriage, Im knee deep in mine right now...theres some pics here you might want to look at- dunno if I'm doing right or wrong, but this cars gonna have a fighting chance of surviving more winters than any other Ive ever had...I hope...I love this car!
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?showtopic=42484&pid=609470&st=0&#entry609470
Sorry, a little off topic here, but you mentioned cleaning circuit boards, I remember we used to run them through a dishwasher right after they were built and they came out very clean :shocked: Of course we used water soluble flux. (my gold ol days) Now it's computers, I hate computers!!!!!!!

Funny about simple green, I heard that stuff was supposed to be so safe, that you could drink it. :eyebulge:

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Read your manual. It says to cover the electronics. If you don't you might short circuit something.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Read the manual, but when I open the hood I see TONS of electronics... It would be like "wash your car, but be careful not to get the trim wet..."
Joe

tw0scoops123 said:
Read your manual. It says to cover the electronics. If you don't you might short circuit something.

·
Registered
36 Posts
i want to wash my engine this weekend but im scared ill screw something up. As long as i have most of the electrical stuff cover should everthing be fine? Also what do u guys use to clean the padding on the hood? Thanks for any help:)

·
Registered
61 Posts
I wash mine all the time, at least 1 or 2 time a month, I am anal when it comes to my Mustang. All I do is first rince cold motor down with water, spray on Simple Green Automotive, let stand for 5 minutes, agitate with wash mit, rinse, and then blow dry, with air blower at my shop or leaf blower from my vacuum at home. I have done this on all my vehicle, never had a problem.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.