Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
I was wondering if i can clean the engine or better yet those plastic cyclinders to make them more shiny? Cause i was thinking if i did, would i mess something up? thanx!!!:dunce:

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
Baginoman said:
I was wondering if i can clean the engine or better yet those plastic cyclinders to make them more shiny? Cause i was thinking if i did, would i mess something up? thanx!!!:dunce:
There is a place in the manual that shows the engine zones that you should keep water away from. I thought those plastic intakes were metal from pictures before I got mine and tapped on them. :laughlitt

·
Registered
867 Posts
For shows I spray the hoses and intake with McGuire's Hot Shine Tire spray. It doesn't attract dust and doesn't affect engine performance. Lots of guys in the club use it.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
vynle said:
i thought you could spray w/garden hose if you didnt hav engine running. is this true?
Nope, in the manual there is a keep out are for water, such as the alternator and fusebox area.

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
vynle said:
so how do you clean engine compartment?
:sosad:
:happyhapp See Below :happyhapp

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
From the Manual:

4.6L 3V SOHC V8 engine
•​
Never wash or rinse the engine while it is running; water in the

running engine may cause internal damage.

ENGINE
Engines are more efficient when they are clean because grease and dirt
buildup keep the engine warmer than normal. When washing:
•​
Take care when using a power washer to clean the engine. The

high-pressure fluid could penetrate the sealed parts and cause
damage.
•​
Do not spray a hot engine with cold water to avoid cracking the

engine block or other engine components.
•​
Spray Motorcraft Engine Shampoo and Degreaser (ZC-20) on all parts

that require cleaning and pressure rinse clean.
•​
Cover the highlighted areas to prevent water damage when cleaning

the engine.

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
vynle said:
SO I WAS RIGHT !!!!:sterb: HA HA !!!:winks
Well, No, you still are supposed to avoid the keep out areas as described in the manual so HA HA back.

Cover the highlighted areas to prevent water damage when cleaning

the engine.

·
Registered
261 Posts
well arnt we competitive . see you at the track buddy!!!!! lol p.s youd kick my ass in a race .:sterb: i hav no mods , and still learnin. at least i get it to cherp in 1st 2nd and sometimes 3rd . just wait you!!!! vynle.

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
vynle said:
well arnt we competitive . see you at the track buddy!!!!! lol p.s youd kick my ass in a race .:sterb: i hav no mods , and still learnin. at least i get it to cherp in 1st 2nd and sometimes 3rd . just wait you!!!! vynle.
Here we go off topic again, but what are you driving?

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
vynle said:
You act as if chirping is a good thing:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I clean my engine compartment about every other month. I also like Meguire's product and I've had very good luck with them. I also shampoo the hood liner. Although I know that you're supposed to keep the water away from the electrical, etc...I've (knock on wood) never had an issue, I usually start by going to the carwash and using the high pressure washer/ engine cleaner to get any major grime off and then I take her home to finish cleaning and to use the Meguire's on the hoses and the airfilter cover etc....There's something just nice about popping your hood and someone else (particularly a mechanic) looking in there and commenting on how good it looks.

·
Registered
261 Posts
i hav a screamin 05 gt:eyepoppin. b-day 4/05. bought in may off the lot paid 2500 over invoice. i up package, crappy leather package( you all know) . i put 17in bullit polished aluminum w/ spinners. mrt interceptor quarter louvers no engine mods as of yet. kind of wished id hav waited to get the 18's but whats the real difference there . oh and the shanker 1000 .lol. thx vynle.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I use Purple Power and a large "SOFT" brush. While the engine is cool just spray the stuff all over the engine compartment, hoses, inside fenders, battery, firewall, and front grill above the radiator. Brush lightly then let stand for a few minutes. It works great. I even spray a small amount to the underside of the hood front and sides, brush, then hose it off. Dont get the hoodpad too wet! Do the underside of the hood first because the cleaner will drip onto the engine compartment so rinsing is easier. :wavey

Purple Power works great on wheels and tires too!!! :eyepoppin

Jeff

·
Registered
816 Posts
I wash my engine compartment every time I wash my baby. I just throw some car wash soap all over the place and then rinse. Of course, the engine is cold when I do this. Then, before I wipe down the rest of the car, I use my handy dandy air compressor and blow out all the water in the valleys on the top of the engine as well as the entire engine compartment. Every nook and cranny gets a blast of air. When I'm done (takes about 5 minutes) the engine compartment is clean and dry. :wavey

1 - 17 of 17 Posts