Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was telling a buddy at work about replacing my 2 year old plug wires due to them arcing. He asked if they were dirty, and said to get some degreaser and clean them. He said that would stop the arcing. Anyone ever heard this?
This dude is a pretty good mechanic too, he had to learn on the crap they had in Russia.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I have heard about this technique. But, I've heard it doesn't work unless you put new thrust bearings in your distributor cap in order to reduce the RF interference from the remote door lock sensors.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
The only 2 logical places it could Arc is at the Plug Ends and at the Distributor Ends, if it were to have an Arc anywhere else along the wires, the insulation would have to be worn off.

·
0 Posts
truuble said:
I have heard about this technique. But, I've heard it doesn't work unless you put new thrust bearings in your distributor cap in order to reduce the RF interference from the remote door lock sensors.
Yeah...what he said....

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine were arcing at the boots, and through the insulation. they've been replaced. They were pretty grungy after two years.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I think I would rather just spend a few bucks replacing something important like my wires, new clean ones look cool too, LOL.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.