Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It takes less than 15 minutes and makes a world of difference. This is at 61,000 miles; my 2006 GT was more than twice as bad at 100k. I just use carburetor/throttle body cleaner and sacrifice an old soft bristle tooth brush. It helps with throttle response and taking out hesitation in the throttle. It's the first thing Brenspeed said to do when I purchased an SCT X3 programmer and JLT Stage 3 CAI on my 2006 GT over a year ago. For anyone who has never done it, I highly recommend cleaning it at least every 25,000 miles on an N/A engine. More often on an S/C engine.

I hope this post helps somebody out!

Attachments

·
Registered
9,975 Posts
Thanks for the reminder, I do need to do that . . . .

unfortunately on my car it is a little harder -- to get the TB off I have to take the intake cover off; to get the intake cover off I have to take the strut tower brace off; and I know from past experience that it is hard to get the STB back on with car on the ground . . . .

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
suggestion....avoid carb cleaner next time....the TB's have a coating to preclude carbon buildup 7 carb cleaner breaks that coating down....BG products makes a product similar to carb cleaner but it is TB safe.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reminder, I do need to do that . . . .

unfortunately on my car it is a little harder -- to get the TB off I have to take the intake cover off; to get the intake cover off I have to take the strut tower brace off; and I know from past experience that it is hard to get the STB back on with car on the ground . . . .
I cleaned the TB and MAF sensor yesterday and drove the car today. It's running much smoother, idles a little higher, and just wants to go a lot more when I'm not in the gas. Depending on how long it's been, it may be worth cleaning.

And thanks Beechkid. I had some TB cleaner but seem to have misplaced it, so I used Carb cleaner this time around. It cleaned it easier, but if it takes a coating off, I'll avoid it in the future.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
It helps with throttle response and taking out hesitation in the throttle. It's the first thing Brenspeed said to do when I purchased an SCT X3 programmer and JLT Stage 3 CAI on my 2006 GT over a year ago. For anyone who has never done it, I highly recommend cleaning it at least every 25,000 miles on an N/A engine. More often on an S/C engine.
Been there, done that. Totally agree.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Oh yea. I cleaned my 96 gt at around 200k and no kidding, some areas inside the plenum were at least 3/16 thick or more. Talk about restricting air flow. I removed the plenum and brought it back to like new conditions, cleaned inside the manifold as good as I could with a rag and plenty of TB cleaner, I even went as far as removing the plugs, spraying the combustion chamber with TB and flooding each cylinder( 1 by1) and let it sit there for a few.. then vaccum it all out with a shop vac.

The end result was a very stable idle, nicer sound, no hesitation, faster revving, a lot less gas smell, and better mileage and noticeable power recovery.

Definitely a must do maintenance I'd say.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Make sure you aerosol sprays specifically formulated for MAF Sensors. The use of any other product can destroy an other wise good MAF.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Make sure you aerosol sprays specifically formulated for MAF Sensors. The use of any other product can destroy an other wise good MAF.
I only use CRC MAF cleaner. I usually only use CRC TB cleaner, but the can had disappeared and I already had the TB sitting on the table with a towel under it, or I wouldn't have used Carburetor cleaner. My concern with Carb cleaner was the seals, so I dried it really good before putting it back on.

·
Registered
171 Posts

Here is a good link from Brenspeed that shows you:

Mustang Tech Information by Brenspeed

2007 Ford Mustang GT, Borla exhaust, JLT-CAI with Brenspeed 95 tune, FRPP springs 1.5", adj. BMR panhard bar, BMR LCA's, retrofitted oem hids, heated seats, brake upgrade, FRPP front LCA's, 3.73 gears, Steeda UDPs, brake ugrade, H&R wheel spacers, shorty antenna,.......

·
Registered
2015 Ruby Red GT, 1966 Silver Blue Coupe
628 Posts
Do you guys clean the orange seal between the TB an manifold? If so does it need any kind of oil lubricant?

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do you guys clean the orange seal between the TB an manifold? If so does it need any kind of oil lubricant?
No. Carb cleaner will eat seals. Remove the TB, and clean it with TB cleaner. I usually apply TB cleaner generously while scrubbing with an old soft bristle toothbrush. Wipe it dry and put it back on. If there's any dirt or anything on the orange seal, wipe it with a towel with a little oil. Don't use cleaner on seals. Someone above posted a link to a Brenspeed video on cleaning the TB.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Timely reminder. My 07 has been a bit sluggish lately. Time for a TB/MAF cleaning. Maybe a new air filter too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts