Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car has arrived at Yeoman's in Florida, and I will be picking it up soon and driving it back to Illinois. I really don't want to bring it to its new garage home with paint chips already in the front end.

Before I pick it up, I was considering having Yeoman's applying a clear bra to protect the front end, even though I read that for black, it stands out, and doesn't look too good. Based upon another thread, I heard that venture or aeroshield looks relatively good on black. Any last words of advice for me on that one?

I figure the two alternatives are 1) Get the Venture clear bra that is visible from 5 ft away or less. 2) Have paint chips that are visible from 100 ft. away and lose sleep over the fact that I should have bought the clear bra.

Help Please!! Thanks :cooldude:

·
Registered
886 Posts
I haven't seen those specific ones, but a very reputable autobody guy here in town spoke very highly of one from 3M. You might want to check into it as well.

As for paint chips, they can be repaired. It won't ever be "perfect" again, though. I'd worry about the clear vinyl bra yellowing or harming the paint after a couple years, too. Even the body guy said he had questions about long term effect.

my $.02

·
Registered
256 Posts
why dont you just buy the normal ugly bra and only use it for travelling.... then you can take it off when doing normal driving...?

·
Registered
412 Posts
I have had this product installed on (2) new vehicles in the past few months, so I suspect I can provide some perspective.

The first vehicle is a 2005 Ford Escape in Gold Ash Metallic. This vehicle is my wife's everyday ride, and as such, gets exposed to plenty of road debris. I absolutely LOVE the product on this car -- especially since the light color of the paint makes it almost invisible unless you're right on top of it!

The second vehicle is a 2005 Ford F-150 in Medium Wedgewood Blue Metallic. This truck is my baby -- a real "Garage Queen" that is only driven for fun on sunny weekends. The product is MUCH MORE VISIBLE on this vehicle, primarily because of the dark color of the paint, and the complexity of the install (lots of painted surfaces with complex curves like the new Mustang).

If I had to do over, I probably would have refrained from installing it on the F-150 -- the combination of the dark paint, the complex body curves, and the fact that the truck is not a daily driver (and as such, not exposed to much road debris) leads me to believe the long-term appearance of the vehicle would be better without the product than with it!

In looking at the purchase a new Mustang (it will also be a total "Garage Queen") I have little doubt that I will refrain from installing it on this vehicle, unless it ends up being a very light color like Legend Lime Metallic. I'd rather take my chances with small paint nicks (something I believe I can avoid with smart driving) than have to look at a fairly visible clear bra.

FWIW

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
fitch615 said:
why dont you just buy the normal ugly bra and only use it for travelling.... then you can take it off when doing normal driving...?
Fitch, I might go with that idea, but the reason I was interested in a permanent solution is that I will be using the stang as a daily driver to commute to work around the Chicago area.

Driving a car down I-88 and 294 these days is like driving your car through a high pressure car wash shooting nails, sharp rocks and tar at your car because of all the lane closures and construction.:weepsMy wife's and my car each had a flat tire on there in just the last month.

Fitch and others. Thanks for the input. So far, its looking like the answer is "NO, it looks really bad". I will make the decision by Friday.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Pawned said:
I will be using the stang as a daily driver to commute to work around the Chicago area. Driving a car down I-88 and 294 these days is like driving your car through a high pressure car wash shooting nails, sharp rocks and tar at your car because of all the lane closures and construction.
Since the car is going to be a daily driver, I would definitely get the clear bra. Even with the comments from my earlier post considered, I think the physical appearance of the clear bra on dark paint is better than a jillion little nicks caused by the sandblasting effect of the sand and chemicals that are put down on roads in an area like Chicago!

For some reason, I thought the car was going to be a toy -- not transportation (?). Maybe it was just me putting my own perspective into the matter -- I could never bring myself to use a beautiful new Mustang as a daily driver back in the Midwest. That's why Ford makes the Taurus -- so you don't have to feel ill everytime you think of a door ding or rock chip in your everyday car! :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ddellwo said:
For some reason, I thought the car was going to be a toy -- not transportation (?). Maybe it was just me putting my own perspective into the matter -- I could never bring myself to use a beautiful new Mustang as a daily driver back in the Midwest. That's why Ford makes the Taurus -- so you don't have to feel ill everytime you think of a door ding or rock chip in your everyday car! :)
Well yeah..:shrug..but us people from up here have to do what we have to do...one of which is to get our hands on the 2005 mustang gt and drive it through acid rain, snow and scum!:D It will just take a little bit more work to put on 20 coats of zaino z2 and wash it once / week.

Actually, I am going to put the car in the garage with a cover starting on November 1st, and take it out on the first day of March madness basketball each year!! I will drive a fwd car for the Chicago winter season.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Pawned said:
Actually, I am going to put the car in the garage with a cover starting on November 1st, and take it out on the first day of March madness basketball each year!! I will drive a fwd car for the Chicago winter season.
I hear ya' -- I'm originally from Minneapolis, so I know all about having a "winter beater" to drive from November to April! :thumbsup

Actually, I kind of miss it -- it was always something to look forward to come early April when I could take my "baby" out of storage and get it back on the road again!

Enjoy the new 'Stang!

·
Registered
886 Posts
Winter beater?

Hmmm...being from the south a winter beater is a TOTALLY foreign concept.

of course, being southern, I -DO- have several semi-running old cars around the house!!:laughlitt

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A final word:

I went with the regular Mustang Bra. It kept 10,000 bugs off the front on the 1200 mile trip north, and I will get some use out of it in the future. The cost was $130 and the dealer in FL put in on before I arrived so it was ready to go.

I removed it immediately after I arrived home and there were 5,000 bug guts underneath it, so I washed the car immediately.

Now, I will attempt my first Zaino job on Sunday. I will try this:

1. Wash with Joy.
  2. Zaino Z18 clay bar
  3. coat of Zaino Z5
  4. layer of Z-8
  5. coat of Zaino Z2Pro
  6. layer of Z-8
  7. coat of NTX tech wax
  8. final layer of Z-8
I will try to post a new thread showing before and after pictures and you all can let me know if I failed or succeeded.:thumbsup

·
Registered
29 Posts
  1. Wash with Joy.
  2. Zaino Z18 clay bar
  3. coat of Zaino Z5
  4. layer of Z-8
  5. coat of Zaino Z2Pro
  6. layer of Z-8
  7. coat of NTX tech wax
  8. final layer of Z-8

wow....I think I'm neglecting my GT, whats that take 2 or 3 days?...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
mach5 said:
wow....I think I'm neglecting my GT, whats that take 2 or 3 days?...
Hmm...I guess you are right.

Washing should take 15 minutes.
Clay Bar should take 45 minutes.
Apply Z5 and wait 1 hour to dry.
Remove Z5 with a new towel and wait 6 hours.
Apply Z8, remove immediately and wait 10 minutes.
Apply Z2 pro and wait 1 hour.
Remove Z2 pro with a new towel and wait 6 hours.
Apply Z8, remove immediately and wait 10 minutes.

So far, even before the NXT, I am up to 15+ hours. Maybe I will put on 1 coat this weekend and see what happens.

G

·
Wash car (forget the "joy" imo, use Zaino wash, unless you have already put some wax on it).
Clay Bar with Zaino wash as a lubricant
Z5? why, do you have swirl marks already?
Z2+accelerator
Z6
Z2+accelerator
Z6
Z8
Leather cleaner+ Finish (even the pleather, lawlercaust)
Zaino Tire Application (roll back car to get flat spot, don't be lazy)
Zaino window treatment or Windex Wipes (in cool shade only).
Sun Glasses
Practice saying "thank you"...alot.

Should take 2 days to do above.

Future washes;
Zaino wash
Blow dry with electric leaf blower.

Apply a coat of Z6 or Z8 in the hot sun with a cotton towel.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts