Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help guys!! I've had stripes painted on my GT and would like to add about three coats of clear on my the entire car to protect it. I have gotten conflicting opinions about the ability to add coats of clear to the factory paint. Some shops tell me that I must paint the whole car again while others say adding clear is possible.

What are your experiences if you have done this to your car? I hate to think that I have re-do the entire car just to protect my stripes.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
816 Posts
Hey! If Chip Foose can do it, you can do it. All ya gotta do is sand the clear on every body part, then shoot the layers of clear. :wavey

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2k5GTC said:
Hey! If Chip Foose can do it, you can do it. All ya gotta do is sand the clear on every body part, then shoot the layers of clear. :wavey
Yeah, The painter I spoke with initially told me it could be done. He had a super clean paint room that really impressed me. However, I took the car to a second shop and I called a auto paint supplier to ask for a good shop referral and these two guys said that the paint would eventually start flaking off if I added clear to the car.

They freaked me out man!!

·
Registered
897 Posts
2k5GTC said:

Yes clear can be added over top. Ive seen many 05's done this way. I wouldn't do the whole car but i'd do roof, hood, trunk, and both bumpers. don't do too many coats if it's a light color such as white or it will look yellowish.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thump_rrr said:
Yes clear can be added over top. Ive seen many 05's done this way. I wouldn't do the whole car but i'd do roof, hood, trunk, and both bumpers. don't do too many coats if it's a light color such as white or it will look yellowish.
Thanks thump_rr.

I was thinking that if I do the whole car, I will maintain the same degree of clear depth. Does that make sense?

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I had my hood done with a black panel and then clearcoated the entire hood with 2 coats and you can't tell any difference in depth. It does make for a nice clean job.

There's no problem adding extra clear over the factory clear, as long as it's prepped right. The body shop I went to scuffed the surface of the clear, without going through it, until it was a milky white. After two coats of clear she looks great.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The second shop I had mine done at guaranteed their job for life so I do not anticipate problems w/the new clear.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
blmpt said:
The second shop I had mine done at guaranteed their job for life so I do not anticipate problems w/the new clear.
Thanks blmpt,

I wonder how many shops out there see a new mustang and see lots of $$$:eyepoppin
Anyway, I will get this done Thanksgiving week and will post pics soon afterwards.

It's great to have a group like all of you who have responded.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts