Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took our '93 LX convertible 5.0 up the Blueridge Parkway last weekend, and started hearing a click or snap when turning left and braking. Not when just braking or just turning, only when turning left AND braking at the same time. 63k miles, all original.

Any ideas? Planning on pulling the wheel and having a look see.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Could be a bunch of things. Seems I spend my life troubleshooting little steering noises in my Foxes. I just solved a clicking noise in my 92. Turned out to be the metal steering rack bushing sleeves were scraping against the inside of the rack bushing metal thrust washers.

I think there's a 50/50 chance that "clicking" noises are something to do with the steering rack bushings.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm. Wouln't that make a noise every time you turn? This is only when turning left AND braking at the same time, and then mostly during more aggressive turning/braking. The records show that the strut mounts were "slotted to correct camber." ???

·
Registered
15 Posts
Has thier been any brake work done? also you say thiers been strut work done. yes ? how long has this problem been going on ?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've had the car since July '11. Didn't notice this problem until we took it on the Blueridge Parkway last month and wrung it out. Brakes were done (rotors and pads) 7k & 5yr ago. Struts were replaced 6k & 3 yr ago. No brake or suspension work done since I've had it. Did some high-speed slalom maneuvers with no noise, so the sway bar links are okay. How about lower ball joints? There are no uppers.

·
Registered
258 Posts
On various Foxes I've had clicking noises while steering from...

1 - rack bushing sleeve sticking out too far.
2 - worn out rack bushings.
3 - strut dust boot rubbing inside of strut tower.
4 - bent rotor dust shield scraping spindle.
5 - strut bolts not tight enough.
6 - sway bar end links not tight enough.
7 - bad struts.
8 - bad outer tie rods.

Probably some more that I can't even remember.

·
Registered
15 Posts
^^^^^ Good list , also just double check calipers are tight
double check brake pads to make sure they didnt break away.
also check rotor hasnt been on the loose side which would cause the bearings to wear bad.

·
Registered
96 Posts
i have notice the same noise coming from the front right side of my 1991 gt, i replaced the struts and installed caster camber plates but i also changed the rotor on that same side because my bearings broke and almost flew off the freeway wen that happen so any ideas where i can start to find the problem, and it looks like its also 1/2 inch lower on the right side than the left

·
Registered
282 Posts
I see your original post is 4 weeks old. Have you put it up on stands and checked anything? You need to do some investigating and post what you find(or don't find).

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jacked it up and pulled the tire. Bearing is installed per spec and packed. Strut mount bolts are tight. No play in tie rod end. Brake caliper bolts are tight. Since it does not happen when braking only or turning only, and since the struts are fairly new, I'm leaning toward the ball joints. I may recall hearing ot on the right side once...

·
Registered
258 Posts
Have someone lay down in front of the car and watch your rack bushings to see if they "squish" side to side while you turn the wheel back and forth. I've had to replace them on 2 cars each with about 30,000 miles. When I have the old bushings in my hand, I can pinch them almost completely together with my finger and thumb. New ones (even rubber ones) cannot be pinched together. They're almost as hard as metal.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts