Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure any of you who havent replaced your headlights are running into this problem. My headlights are becoming very cloudy where it not only makes it harder to see at night but i cant stand anything on my mustang to not be in top notch shape. I have recently seen commercials advertising these headlight cleaners. I want to come on here and see what you guys use. Cant always rely on commercials. I just need something simple to clean off the headlights to bring them back to their original shine. Im looking for the different opinions on this. The more variety that you guys use the better. Lets create a little debate here. Not a huge subject but it could take off. Thanks

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
3m fine cut cleaner sold at any auto parts store. Cost about 10 bucks. Rag and a little elbow grease. Works great. Also works great on dull paint or smudges.

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
yeah, Meguires has a good product too...it's not a permanent fix but it will clear them up.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah, Meguires has a good product too...it's not a permanent fix but it will clear them up.
I have found a meguires but from the description it looked like a buffer for the paint. Do you happen to have a link?

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
no link, they sell it at Wal Mart for about $5...it's just called PlastX...I think they have recently relabeled it Headlight Restorer...seen the ads on Speed TV

·
Registered
506 Posts
when i did mine the guy at the store explained to me that the 3m kit is for restoration and fixing cloudy/milky plastic and the meguires is not as aggressive and would be better suited as a maintenance product.

I used the 3m and it brought my lenses back from the dead

·
Registered
507 Posts
Mothers has a product that works with a drill not unlike their rim polishing deal. But it depends on how much damage is done. One side of my car's headlights were pitted and the other alittle cloudy.
Worked a ok on the cloudy one. The pitted one even after the sanding steps looked tacky. So I found an ebay deal and got some smoked headlights with HID's. Although on my parents acuras they looked brand new like all the commercials show. So it mainly depends on how the drastic the pitting is.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I had the same problem with mine, if you looked closely at the headlights you could see tiny scratches and the 3M kit did wonders. It's the kit with the sandpaper circles that stick to a drill bit, about $15 I think at any autoparts store. I had to go over a second time because I rushed the first time, but just remember that the amout of time put in = result. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Found the plast x for sale at walmart. I will try that out its only $5 so i will try it in a few days and give you guys before and after pictures on this thread in a few days. I appreciate all the responses

·
Registered
6,282 Posts
What is it about that year, or range of years, that causes that to happen? Its not just Mustangs or Fords, but a lot of makes.

·
Registered
59 Posts
i found the 3m product at canadian tire in ontario it works with a drill it has a 500 grit then a 800 grit then 2 buffers its was 30 dollars out here.i did the 1998 mustang and the 2000 durango looks awsome ,better then buying new lights ,this is the second time on this site that someone asked about it and the other person did the 3m thing and he was happy too.....you cant go wrong with it just follow the inst.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
3m headlight restoration kit for the win. I have used it and i support it. Ive also used some of the other products and alot of the are just a rubbing compound.
The 3m kit can be had at any parts store for 20bux, well worth the money for sure

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just applied the PlastX from Meguiar's and in my opinion it turned out great

Here are the pictures of the before and after. I highly recommend this product i think it was either $5-$10 and took 5 mins too apply. Its not a permant fix but you barely use any of the product and takes 5 minutes so if the oxidation comes back another 5 minutes to take it off
Thanks for the info guys. It was right in time cause their is a car show on saturday that my car will be in

Attachments

·
Registered
241 Posts
Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
1k - 1500 - 2k wet sanding then use meguiars ultimate compound on it. i did that, and it cleaned it up a bit. I ended up tinting them because they still looked crappy. Mine were absolutely AWFUL before i did it though, so i'm sure yours will be fine.

·
Registered
6,282 Posts
Looks like you've been hitting snow banks with that front bumper. :nono:

·
Registered
17 Posts
My god, you guessed it right, haha. My brother did that to my car before i bought it from him. i have a new one sitting on my porch it just needs painting, and i need a new headlight nose panel before i do anything else!

·
Registered
6,282 Posts
That's because I grew up in Massachusetts and used to do the same thing. And it's on the passenger side. But I had a chrome bumper backed by steel- not foam and shock absorbers. :bigthumbsup

1 - 20 of 24 Posts