Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forum friends,
I need a little advice please. I have a 2009 V6 4.0 base Mustang with all the wiring for the 6 gauge cluster and Info Setup Reset switch wiring already in place. After researching here and other places, I decided that I wanted to upgrade my cluster as well. It took me forever, but I finally got the part number for the Info/Setup/Reset switch (btw, its labeled "Message Center Switch Switch 18578") and had a run in with my local Ford dealer. I asked if they would order the 6 gauge cluster for me and the switch and they just out right refused even though the car is set up to use this upgrade. Their answer to me was that it simply wasn't "attached to that VIN number". No other explanation given.
I'm in Nashville TN and the largest Ford dealer/service is Two Rivers Ford. If anyone has any advice on where else close by this can be done or a DYI for the cluster mileage swap, I'd be grateful. I know that this is a long shot, but maybe someone else has had the same issue, so I wanted to come here first.
Thanks in advance for helping.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
There have been other threads on here about this issue.

I believe what they mean by not attached to vin is this:

Dealerships don't want to get involved with replacement of speedometer/odometer as then they might be liable in the future as to exact mileage being correct on a car's odometer.

Not sure what they might do in a case in which your odometer were totally broken, needed to be replaced, when the entire car taken into their service department for repairs.

Seems they don't want to get involved with all the legal documentation which might be required.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I think amustangrocks has done a pretty good tutorial for replacing it, also he has added a Ford Dealer who will ship the Cluster and Switch. so search for his thread.
Hm I´m curious what would happen if you install the Message Center switch alone, would it do anything, bug things up or add some small features to the 4gauge?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm

Well, it's to my understanding that if you install the switch, everything will work with the buttons but it outputs to nothing since there is no message center screen to do so. Basically I'd have to memorize the menu system if I decided to change colors and what-not. A large part of the reason why I wanated the 6G cluster as well (besides looks) was for the oil gauge. I'm sick of having just an idiot light to rely on in all of my cars. If a leak was present, it'd just turn on when its super close to too late.
Thanks for the reference I'll look it up.

-chanefed

1 - 4 of 4 Posts