Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
ermm should be any free play, as soon as you start to touch the clutch it starts moving. you dont want to put the clutch pedal to the floor in order to engage it.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There should always be a little free play otherwise your clutch is always sumwhat engaged. I just learned that at school. I noticed that my trans is making a loud squeeking noise and it goes away when i press on the clutch. My teacher said that i need to adjust my clutch to add mre free play cause right now my clutch is sumwhat engaged and thats wats making the noise. Sorry if im way off, just going by what i heard. If anyone has a better idea, please let me know.

lcurle said:
ermm should be any free play, as soon as you start to touch the clutch it starts moving. you dont want to put the clutch pedal to the floor in order to engage it.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
the noise you are hearing is your throwout berring, which means time for a new berring and clutch at the same time. If you want, you can adjust this from the firewall or from the clutch quadrant which should be by the pedal if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
The noise could also be a low fluid level in the trans . ( dont ask me how I know ;) ) If you fill up the trans , just an fyi the t-5 takes automatic trans fluid .

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A new bearing and clutch? That sounds pretty expensive. Whats that onna cost me?
lcurle said:
the noise you are hearing is your throwout berring, which means time for a new berring and clutch at the same time. If you want, you can adjust this from the firewall or from the clutch quadrant which should be by the pedal if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
what brand of clutch should i get?
lcurle said:

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
the throw out berring should be replaced everytime you change the clutch anyways, but a semi performance clutch should work for around $300 or cheaper.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
where can i get a good clutch from?
lcurle said:
the throw out berring should be replaced everytime you change the clutch anyways, but a semi performance clutch should work for around $300 or cheaper.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have to agree that it sounds like throw out bearing. If the noise goes away when you step on the clutch - probably not in the trans. Also doubt that the cable adjustment is the problem either - cables tend to stretch, not tighten over time. However, maybe try to adjust just to be sure. If it is stock setup, just pull up on the clutch pedal and then press it down to the floor- should hear it click when pull up and then it will be adjusted when you press and release the pedal. Stock setups may not have any adjustment at the firewall, but you can check to see if the cable housing has threads where it goes through the firewall. again, I doubt the adjustment is the problem.
If you do do the clutch, I have had good luck with a website called performancedepot.com for parts, and they have good prices as well.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
greenfieldracin said:
OK, does anybody have any other ideas on where i can get a good clutch? Any info would be great!

For regular driving? Stick with the OEM. While you have it out, if you're looking for performance, throw in an aluminum flywheel.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok, so ur saying to go with an OEM clutch and an aluminum flywheel. So do i just go to my local ford dealer to get the clutch, or is there a better way? Thanks
kscoyote said:
For regular driving? Stick with the OEM. While you have it out, if you're looking for performance, throw in an aluminum flywheel.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
greenfieldracin said:
ok, so ur saying to go with an OEM clutch and an aluminum flywheel. So do i just go to my local ford dealer to get the clutch, or is there a better way? Thanks
That's the easiest, you might find a better price from O'Reilly's, Autozone, etc.

·
Registered
141 Posts
any ideas?
KY Clutch has a good dual friction Stage 2 clutch (which I have in my car..)
And so far so good. You will need to replace the cable and add a clutch adjustment kit.
As far as the TOB only ford, and the better one is ford racing HD. If you do all that get the FRPP Pilot bearing and Fork.
I did all that now and I spent toughly about $700... Its a bummer when the TOB start making noise. I have some adjustment issue and I am going to post a thread about it.

·
Registered
141 Posts
where can i get a good clutch from?
Much cheaper. You can get Ram HD for $200 and change.. Also check out American Power Train, they started distributing clutch kit's the are here on the forums.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Made my last adjustment today ( I hope.. I locked it with lock tight.
800 miles into the clutch and I love it. So far so very good!
Grip so hard. Who ever is looking for a good clutch that will not stretch your wallet check it out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts