Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
i was just wondering the best way to adjust my self adjusting clutch cable. i just installed my tranny and new clutch kit and it doesnt feel right. i was thinking maybe the cable is streached or its not reseting any info would be great thnx

sorry guys its a 1990 GT that might help lol

·
Registered
514 Posts
is it not catching? what is it doing that not making it feel right?

·
Registered
180 Posts
i was just wondering the best way to adjust my self adjusting clutch cable. i just installed my tranny and new clutch kit and it doesnt feel right. i was thinking maybe the cable is streached or its not reseting any info would be great thnx
I don't believe that the stock set up allows for any manual adjustment. 87-93 Mustangs utilized a plastic clutch quadrant underneath the dash. The quadrant is attached to the cluth pedal and the cable attaches to it. The quadrant is prone to breaking or bending. This could be where you are getting the stretched feeling from. (To find it: look underneath the dash and it is actually above the gas pedal area)

You could also look at the point where the clutch cable goes through the firewall. Make sure that this point is solid as well. From there the cable goes on to the left side of your transmission. If you know your cable is in good shape, you can replace just the quadrant. If the cable is questionable, you can replace both fairly inexpensive. I included a couple of links with parts you may need. UPR is the first that came to mind. You can shop around for similar products or pricing. They also make a firewall adjuster. This item is not necessary to solve your problem. It simply allows you to adjust the clutch without having to get underneath your car. A nice piece to have depending on your budget.

Unlimited Performance Racing Products On-Line - UPR Products Double lock Extreme firewall adjuster ! ( Fits all 79-04 Mustangs )

Unlimited Performance Racing Products On-Line - Triple Pick-Up Quadrant and Cable Kit ( Fits 82-04 Mustang )

Unlimited Performance Racing Products On-Line - Triple Hook Quadrant & Cable with Double Lock Firewall Adjuster (82-04)

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
I agree, the spongy stretched feeling could be the plastic area being broken, or the cable is stretched.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Dude was wrong... You absolutely can adjust the stock quadrant to stiffen or loosen the pedal. Guess it doesn't matter now since the thread is 5 years old.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts