Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, this may be silly, (and longish) but I have limited experience with clutches and associated hardware.
Background: I replaced the tranny and clutch about a year+ ago, before we moved. Since then, everythings been ok, clutch engaugement started a few inches off the bottom of the pedal. When I did the replacement, I also installed a steeda quadrant and firewall adjuster.
Yesterday morning, at work, I get into the car, and the clutch pedal is swinging free. Apparently the cable came loose from the quad (was on the first, i.e. farthest from firewall, hook. )
After investigation, the cable was apparently very loose, and this apparently happened sometime overnight!?!
I hooked it back up, and was able to pull about half an inch of slack out at the adjuster. I opened the adjuster up to compensate for it, and was able to drive the car, but the clutch was engauging just a few inches from the top.
I got the car home, and started playing with the adjustment. I tried hooking it to the back hook (closest to the firewall, per steedas website instructions[it did not specify when I bought the parts]) that left virtually no clutch movement, even with the adaptor all the way out. So I put it back on the front hook, and tried to readjust. No luck. I then completly unhooked it on the dash end, checked the condition of the cable as well as I could, and hooked it back up.
This time, for some reason, I didn't have to crank the adjuster out nearly as far, to tighten it up, but the car still seems to start to grab too "high" on the pedal travel.
I can't see how it could stretch "overnight", and am kinda worried that this might be a precursor to the cable letting go.
I'm thinking about buying another cable as a back up, but figured it'd see if some of the learned minds here might be able to help. The car's currently drivable, but its still not grabbing until nearly the top of the pedal.
Do I need to get under it and tighten it on the pivot arm end to get it back to normal?
Ummmm...Help?<g>

J

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
The way I do it is this

Adjust the firewall adjuster to the position where it is screwed all the way in (to the firewall side).
Jack up the car tighten the cable nut until the cable barely starts to feel resistance about 3 inches from the floor. Then I finish up with the firewall adjuster.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats what I did when I first set it up, I just havent had a chance to get back under there again. I'm just baffeled as to how it could crap out literally overnight?!?

Thanks
J

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, for anyone that cares, I finally had a chance to get under the car today, turns out the problem was that the locking nut on the tranny end my cable fell off :eek: allowing the other nut to start turning....and of course the dust cover was askew, so the nut is long since MIA.
So for the time being, I've got a stock cable back under there, seems to be mostly back to normal, still needs a little tweaking.

J

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
BadlandsGhost said:
Well, for anyone that cares, I finally had a chance to get under the car today, turns out the problem was that the locking nut on the tranny end my cable fell off :eek: allowing the other nut to start turning....and of course the dust cover was askew, so the nut is long since MIA.
So for the time being, I've got a stock cable back under there, seems to be mostly back to normal, still needs a little tweaking.

J
:doh:

Glad to hear you found out a problem and fixed it. A third nut on there wouldnt hurt.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll probibly just leave the stocker on there for the forseeable future, my repair/mod lists about as long as my arm, and I only have 1 day a week I can get any work done on the car. :doh:
As it stands right now, I have new door handles, a new lock solenoid, fan, parts for the upgraded engine ground ready to install, and am looking for an electric fan, and getting a 3g alt . Thats just the next month or so, LOL

·
Registered
130 Posts
Use a Nylock nut. The ones with the nylon insert to keep them from backing off.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, I'll remember that if I decide to reinstall the adjustable cable. :drink:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.