Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So in my 2001 v6, I just realized a few days ago, that when I'm driving usually above 30mph, that the clutch chatters, like the pedal vibrates and makes an unbearably annoying noise... I tried using the self adjustment thing in these clutches by pulling it all the way up with my foot, and no help. The only way to make the noise stop and for the pedal to stop vibrating, is to push it down about 1/4 of the way or so.. maybe not as much. Since i do alot of city/town driving, i realize its absolute worst in 4th gear, around 2000-2500rpm.

What could be causing this? Is the clutch cable worn? or is the throwout bearing telling me it needs replacing soon?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright, thanks! :yelpleased:

·
Registered
99 Posts
with a throw out bering you should notice an awful sound when applying the clutch pedal.. did you ever figure out what was wrong ? TO bearing usually doesnt make the pedal vibrate, ever unless its completely shot.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I haven't been on in a while... Sorry ya'll..

It wasn't the TO bearing, I looked up the issue on ALLDATA and it is actually a TSB (technical service bulletin) that the clutch pedal chatters. It is due to the clutch cable being worn. And since they can't be adjusted, the fix is to replace the cable. I'm surprised they didn't recall this stupid cable mechanism. Self adjusting cables just doesn't sound to me like a good idea. It takes money away from us technicians! (future technicians in my case..) lol.

The only time a TO bearing should make a pedal chatter is when its completely shot. It'll make a terribly annoying sound if it is just starting to do. So yeah, i didn't know that before.. now that I took manual transmissions class now at UTI I understand much better.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts