Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I just swapped my car over from an AOD to a T-5. Everything went in like a dream, with seemingly no issues. I installed the SVE Mongoose Master Clutch replacement kit from late Model restoration which came with everything including the flywheel. Anyway, I cant get the clutch to disengage no matter what!:sadcry: I initially thought it might have been the stock quadrant so i replaced that with a upr triple hook quadrant and firewall adjuster and i used the stock length non-adjustable cable. I tried all of the positions on the quadrant, as well as multiple adjustments, but nothing! The fork is traveling all the way as far as it can go but i still can disengage the clutch. I checked the throwout bearing and it is on correctly, and i installed the clutch disc correctly. Any ideas what could be causing this it is driving me crazy! Thanks in advance for your help!:)

·
Registered
428 Posts
when your foot is all the way down does your throw out bearing even touch the pressure plate? if not maybe your cable is too long..do you have a firewall adjuster to take up some of the slack?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah it touches the pressure plate when the pedal is down. I did install a firewall adjuster.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Hi everyone, I just swapped my car over from an AOD to a T-5. Everything went in like a dream, with seemingly no issues. I installed the SVE Mongoose Master Clutch replacement kit from late Model restoration which came with everything including the flywheel. Anyway, I cant get the clutch to disengage no matter what!:sadcry: I initially thought it might have been the stock quadrant so i replaced that with a upr triple hook quadrant and firewall adjuster and i used the stock length non-adjustable cable. I tried all of the positions on the quadrant, as well as multiple adjustments, but nothing! The fork is traveling all the way as far as it can go but i still can disengage the clutch. I checked the throwout bearing and it is on correctly, and i installed the clutch disc correctly. Any ideas what could be causing this it is driving me crazy! Thanks in advance for your help!:)
At rest, can you move the clutch fork forward or backward?

With a helper pushing on the pedal, have you measured the travel of the clutch fork?

With a helper still pushing the pedal, have you inspected the clutch cable to make sure the outer sheathing is not compressing or abnormally flexing at any point?

Have you taken a look inside the bellhousing through the clutch fork opening to see if the fork is still clipped on the pivot stud?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I cant move the fork forward or backward by hand with the cable attached.

I can get it to travel the full length of the opening in the bellhousing.

I cant see any issues with the clutch cable as far as it binding or flexing abnormally, and i've tried two different clutch cables.

I'm thinking my next move will be to look in the fork opening and take a real good look at the throwout bearing position. i know i have it facing the right way, however, I think that i may have put the throwout bearing under the two retaining prongs on the fork instead of snapping it in on top of them. Not sure but I'm trying to review in my head what I did. I think if i did install it that way, i will lose travel because it will push the retainers back before it gets any pressure on the fingers. but i have to check this, because i am just going by memory of what i did.

At rest, can you move the clutch fork forward or backward?

With a helper pushing on the pedal, have you measured the travel of the clutch fork?

With a helper still pushing the pedal, have you inspected the clutch cable to make sure the outer sheathing is not compressing or abnormally flexing at any point?

Have you taken a look inside the bellhousing through the clutch fork opening to see if the fork is still clipped on the pivot stud?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts