Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a ‘65 289 C code convertible with a 3 speed manual transmission. I am changing out the clutch pedal because the hole for the clutch rod is badly worn and elongated. I also have clutch chatter. I’ve had a new clutch put in and that helped quite a bit—took out about 90% of the chatter. My question is, can a worn clutch pedal contribute to clutch chatter? I know most chatter comes from a warped clutch or a dirty clutch. But can a worn pedal that doesn’t have good motion cause chatter, too?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
Short answer...no.....worn clutch disc/pressure plate or oil/grease contamination on the flywheel are the primary causes for clutch chatter

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Also, just like brakes, it's a good idea to engage gently at first before really putting the beans to a clutch. You want to get some heat into it, let the mating surfaces get to know each other a bit. It's all too common for guys to go out and drop the hammer at 4k to 'see if it works right' the first time out, and that usually causes problems.

·
Registered
07 Mustang GT
569 Posts
Yes a worn pedal can cause clutch chatter if it was worn enough to change the adjustment or the binding caused heat because it would not release all the way.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts