Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car just hit 6000 miles, and about a week or two ago, I noticed that when starting from a dead stop, my clutch makes a quiet humming/squealing noise from the time it starts engaging until it is fully engaged.

It sounds like it is coming from under/in front of the cabin, so it isn't a sound coming from the pedal itself. I am also positive that this is a new noise and wasn't there previously.

Most likely the clutch is also making the noise every time it is engaging but that I can't hear it over the other all the other sounds from the engine, road noise, exhaust, etc.

What is the cause of this noise? It isn't unbearable or anything, but I would really rather have it fixed, especially if it is a sign that the clutch or some type of bearing or something is wearing prematurely and needs to be replaced.

The only real abuse I can think of being done to the clutch is my dad took it out on several occasions to teach my mom and sister how to drive stick (since at the time the only other manual car we had was a WRX whose clutch is too touchy to learn on with ease).

Do you guys have any ideas...because I sure don't! :headscratch:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Sounds like stress on your throwout bearing.. maybe getting weak?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like stress on your throwout bearing.. maybe getting weak?
See that was kinda what I was afraid of. The car is so new though, how could the bearing already have problems? Would it be a problem present from the factory?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If I take it back to the dealer to get it looked at, do they have to tear apart the whole assembly to find out if it is the bearing (not fix it, but diagnose it)?

If that is the problem and has to be fixed, should I just get a performance clutch/flywheel combo since everything is already going to be torn out to replace the bearing?

Edit I: Some more information -
Another good word for the sound is a whirring noise while the clutch is engaging/pedal being released. When it is fully disengaged/pedal all the way in, fully engaged/pedal all the way out, and when disengaging/pushing in pedal, there is zero noise.

Also, squealing wasn't a good word to use to describe the noise. It isn't really an obnoxious high pitch noise or anything, but like a hum/whirring. It also seems to have little to no variation in pitch or volume with changing clutch engagement or engine RPMs. :(

Edit II: One last thing, I don't rest my foot on the clutch pedal. Ever. The only time my foot is on it for a prolonged period is waiting at a light, and it is all the way down. I'm careful about it because my dad told me when I was learning to drive a manual that resting your foot on the pedal was the number one way for someone to need a new clutch pretty quickly. Plenty of people hold down the clutch pedal at lights though instead of shifting into neutral (bad idea; you would get knocked right into oncoming traffic if someone hit you) and don't have problems with the clutch/bearing...so I still have no idea.

Man, this sucks.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yup, started hearing it during shifting and it just progressively got worse.

6k is very young. I would definately take her in.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yup, started hearing it during shifting and it just progressively got worse.

6k is very young. I would definately take her in.
Ok. Yeah one of my concerns was that since the car is so new it probably is more of a factory issue than an abuse issue.

Thanks, dude! I just hope they don't try to deny a noise or anything now....

·
Registered
65 Posts
No throwout bearings in these cars. Might be the slave cylinder failing.
It's all incorporated. slave and bearing all in one.

I was charged by the dealer for a "cylinder assembley"

·
Registered
65 Posts
$192 out the door. Only one in stock.

·
Registered
65 Posts
56k and fully out of warranty.

All on me :)

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well son of a!!! What was there reasoning?!!?! That is re-gosh-dang-friggin-diculous! I want to buy wheels, not an effin' replacement part when I probably wasn't even the one that broke it!! Gah! :fuming:

Edit - Oh oops. Haha. I just re-read your post; I thought you said you were IN warranty still and they made you pay it. Deep breaths; "woosa, wooooosaaa". ;)

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Sounds like what would be the throwout bearing function, it the car is less that 12 months I would think they would cover that like brakes as wear and tear. Be prepared for them to blame abuse but if the clutch can be engaged smoothly/not burnt they don't have much of a case.

·
Registered
188 Posts
if the noise your describing is described as a whirring when the clutch is out in neutral but goes away completely when the clutch is in in neutral it is supposedly normal. apparently its normal for these trans's to make an assload of noise. the one your concerned with is "normal" gear rollover noise inside the trans and is considered "normal" mine does it too.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
if the noise your describing is described as a whirring when the clutch is out in neutral but goes away completely when the clutch is in in neutral it is supposedly normal. apparently its normal for these trans's to make an assload of noise. the one your concerned with is "normal" gear rollover noise inside the trans and is considered "normal" mine does it too.
See, that is just it. The only, ONLY time I hear the noise is when I am in the act of engaging the clutch and adding power. I don't know if it only happens from a dead stop into first, but that is the only time I am really focusing on clutch control; going into reverse I am more concerned with what is behind me and shifting through the rest of the gears there is already other noises and less time on the clutch so I don't notice it but haven't really listened for it since I am focused on what is going on around me, and I'm almost never in neutral but haven't ever noticed it.

Is this still what you were describing, because it sounds like something different to me...

That and it only just started happening.

I wish I had a way to explain the noise better, but it is "hirrrrrrrrrrrrrrre" (say it kinda quietly to yourself with your tongue pulled back in your mouth (but in a natural position, not like you are about trying to poke the back of your throat with it), starting in a voice slightly more high pitched than what you would normally do and continually slightly raise the pitch as you say it; it is like that but quieter and much more "airy," less "sharp, " sounding than a sound a person can make, and it is very "clean" (pitch and volume don't waiver up and down; picture the pitch as a perfectly straight line sloping up slightly as the clutch goes from barely to fully engaged).

We just got snowed on today out of no where, or else I would have taken her out and get a recording of the noise.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Had the exact same problem at about 5000 miles. They replaced the entire clutch assembly, no charge. It's fine now. Had to give the car up for 2 days but my dealer offered a rental.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Had the exact same problem at about 5000 miles. They replaced the entire clutch assembly, no charge. It's fine now. Had to give the car up for 2 days but my dealer offered a rental.
What did they say it was? Were they hesitant to believe the noise existed at all?

And I would be tempted to rent a GT and try it out for a couple days, but then I know I would be disappointed when I got the sixer back.

If anything I'll just have to drive this (pictures attached - hint: I'm NOT talking about the red truck) around, and yes, its a '61 :nogrinner. Too bad I don't have a picture of "Old Yell'r" all by itself...capture it in full ridiculousness.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.