Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last couple of weeks my clutch pedal has been sticking sort of. It isnt affecting the drivability of it just annoys the hell out of me. When I push the pedal and then let off the pedal comes all the way up except for the last 1/16- 1/8 of an inch before hitting the stop. So I have gottejn into the habit of shifting letting out on clutch and pulling the clutch to the top with my foot.

Well the other day it was squeaking when i pressed the pedal down so I decided to get under there and look at it. I checked the qaudrant , it is fine. So i have narrowed it down to the actual clutch pedal vicinity. I sprayed wd-40 on the clutch assembly and in the plastic plunger behind the pedal but nothing happened, the squeaking stopped but the pedal is still sticking.

Anyone had similar problems and know how to fix it. I am just annoyed by it more than anything.

Thanks Drew

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
It sounds like the cable is chafed. You can kind of feel the vibration in your left foot - try it with the motor off. If you know/presume your disk, pressure plate, and bearing to be good, it's gotta be in the actuation. I also had a clutch fork hang up on the inspection cover - I simply removed the cover. You can disconnect the cable at both ends and move it, in its full range, in the sheath. If you feel any resistance, it's toast.
Don't just get the cable though, definitely get rid of the plastic pawl and quadrant (the dumbest thing I've ever seen on a car - plastic bearing the full weight of the clutch?!!! WTF?!!!) and get one of the metal alternatives.
It's also possible/probable that the arm (on the clutch pedal shaft) which holds the pawl (the little plastic piece) has bent. It can get very misaligned in respect to the quadrant (the big piece). I've seen this on two of my cars. If you put the metal quadrant on, the bent arm isn't as much of an issue.
Also there are plastic bushings on the pedal shaft.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I already have a mtal qaudrant, it was on there when I got the car. The clutch/flywheel and cable were all replaced last Thanksgiving, so we are coming up on a year. When I am uinder the dash and press the pedal to the floor with my hand and let up the cable has full tension on the qaudrant. When i pull the last little bit up to the stop the cable does not move, I think it is in the clutch pedal assembly somewhere. I am going to take my seat out today so it is a little easier to move around and look upside down. I am planning on taking ythe cable off to inspect it as well and then checking my clutch fork today.

If after all that it still does it I am yanking the pedal assembly out and then bench inspectimng it.

Drew

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
mine does the exact same thing. and i have all new clutch controls, and clutch, even a new front bearing retainer. i dont know what it is either, but im not too concerned because when the pedal is fully released, so is the clutch. (before pulling up the last part.) also my clutch pedal actuation is sooo smooth and easy to depress. if you had a bad cable then it would result in a stiff clutch and possibly slipping, the front bearing retainer will cause the clutch actuation to get stuck up on some parts. just make sure that your cable has a slight amount of slack when the clutch is released. (cable to fork) just as not to make contact with the fork causing the fork to constantly be engaged slightly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.