Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've had this car for a month, and am slowly debugging all the small problems. Tranny works nice, but clutch pedal is RIDICULOUSLY stiff. I always thought my terminator had a stiff clutch, now it feels like a honda clutch after driving this 93 fox.
Anyways, when I have a friend push clutch pedal, I can see firewall bending back and forth. Upon inspection, I see that there is a blue metal quadrant installed and what appears to be a newish cable. The cable looks like it's going in a little crooked into firewall grommet, and there is some dust and shavings there. I'm betting this is the problem. Any tips on how to straighten this out? I have a new 39.00 OEM style non-adjustable replacement cable from 5.0resto ready to put on.

Cable routing looks fine otherwise.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Has the cable been lubed? My pedal was incredibly stiff after installing a BBK quadrant/firewall adjuster/cable kit. Pulled the cable back off at the firewall, dribbled some oil down inside it while working the cable back and forth. Made a huge difference.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Has the cable been lubed? My pedal was incredibly stiff after installing a BBK quadrant/firewall adjuster/cable kit. Pulled the cable back off at the firewall, dribbled some oil down inside it while working the cable back and forth. Made a huge difference.
I have no idea. I have new cable, so I when I pull old one off I will check. Hoping it's something simple and not clutch/pressure plate.

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
I guess it could be an incorrectly installed firewall adjuster, but some clutch/quadrant combos are just stiff like that. I heard that Pro Motion in FL sells a firewall brace for super stiff clutches like that...

I personally run Centerforce clutches and they work really well with a light pedal pressure.

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
I would look to see if it was installed correctly.

Me personally thought that my Spec stage 2+ was a hair tough and didn't understand why. I went looking around and saw it kinda close to the headers. I proceeded to wrap the cable with some adhesive heat shielding tape and routed the cable a different way in which it was a straighter shot. Just by moving the cable around and putting it in a new location it greatly lightened up the clutch feel.

Also lubing the cable is a good thing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts