Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always pressed the clutch all the way to the floor when shifting, however I have been changing it up a bit with the Mustang due to a few factors.

I've noticed that the clutch only needs to be depressed roughly 2 or 2 inches before I can shift effortlessly and painlessly through the gears - never a grind or miss shifts.

That being said, I noticed in a few threads that people (and the manual) prefer/demand the clutch to be fully depressed before attempting to shift.

Curious as to the Pros and Cons of both.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I've always pressed the clutch all the way to the floor when shifting, however I have been changing it up a bit with the Mustang due to a few factors.

I've noticed that the clutch only needs to be depressed roughly 2 or 2 inches before I can shift effortlessly and painlessly through the gears - never a grind or miss shifts.

That being said, I noticed in a few threads that people (and the manual) prefer/demand the clutch to be fully depressed before attempting to shift.

Curious as to the Pros and Cons of both.
I just go all the way to the floor everytime kind of a habit lol

·
Registered
833 Posts
Normal driving, I pretty much go to the floor...spirited driving like I did on a road course I had as little travel as it takes to shift and it was great.

I am sure either way works if the shift is effortless.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Unless it is mis-adjusted, going to the floor shouldn't be a problem. Given that you are so far away from the floor at disengagement, I wonder if it doesn't slip when you hit the throttle. Do you see the tach rise faster than the physical acceleration?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unless it is mis-adjusted, going to the floor shouldn't be a problem. Given that you are so far away from the floor at disengagement, I wonder if it doesn't slip when you hit the throttle. Do you see the tach rise faster than the physical acceleration?
It's not going to the floor that I heard was the problem - it was the 2-3" travel before shifting that people have an issue with.

I simply think that when the clutch is disengaged, it's disengaged, regardless of how far the pedal is pressed.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
"I've noticed that the clutch only needs to be depressed roughly 2 or 2 inches before I can shift effortlessly and painlessly through the gears - never a grind or miss shifts."

LOL. Post that in the rough shifting thread and be sure to tell them they are all doing it wrong.

It got to the point that I couldn't even start my car without putting my full weight on the clutch pedal. That's when I finally took it in.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Normal driving, I pretty much go to the floor...spirited driving like I did on a road course I had as little travel as it takes to shift and it was great.

I am sure either way works if the shift is effortless.
I agree. To the floor all the way with normal driving. Why risk it and not do that?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Once the clutch is fully disengaged / engaged doesn't matter if you put the pedal to the floor or not. One of my cars had the bite point up at the top of the pedal's motion which was a pain in everyday driving, but made for great fast shifting ... just dip into the pedal, shift and go.

I still usually get lazy and put it down to the floor. Easier for muscle memory reference.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.