Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings! I've had my 07 Mustang Gt for a little over a year now. 116k miles, manual transmission, and its mostly stock. Since I got the car, there has been a chatter coming from the transmission but I've been told this is normal to an extent with this model. As the year went by, the chatter has gotten a bit worse but I'm not sure if it's alarming, just makes me wonder more than anything. question.gif To top it off, every once in a while I get locked out of gears. Some times when I'm in neutral I even have to fight it in to first or reverse. ESPECIALLY reverse. :frustrated::frustrated: I'll either keep pushing until it goes in, let it recenter and push again, sometimes i'll just let it center and come off the clutch entirely and try again. :frustrated: I'll even get locked out of gears occasionally when I'm driving just a little spiritedly, but that's few and far between. Any idea where it is? Is it the clutch? Throwout bearing? Maybe even a pilot bearing? Or is there a bigger picture I'm missing?

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
could be the hydraulic slave the actuates the clutch or the clutch assembly itself is tired

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Luckily I'm already planning one a few mods in February and a full clutch rebuild is part of it. Stage 2 clutch, flywheel, hydraulic slave/throwout, and probably gonna replace the bearing while i'm at it.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Sounds like the friction material on the clutch plate is worn down to the rivets and rubbing on the flywheel. If it's still on the original clutch after 116k miles I'd say that replacement is well overdue!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Sounds like the friction material on the clutch plate is worn down to the rivets and rubbing on the flywheel. If it's still on the original clutch after 116k miles I'd say that replacement is well overdue!
Uhh.....I'm on the original clutch after 126k miles. Is it one of those items where if it's still working, then don't worry about it? Or do you "change" it every ?k miles? I'm assuming that Delta is experiencing one particular symptom of it failing, what are other symptoms I should be watching or listening for?

Delta: I'll be checking this thread for your report after it's serviced.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Part of it is the crappy OEM shifter mount. They are sloppy when new, and often caused missed or jambed shifting. Now that the bushings are all dry rotted its even worse.

Replace it with an aftermarket high performance short throw shifter and shifter mount.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Uhh.....I'm on the original clutch after 126k miles. Is it one of those items where if it's still working, then don't worry about it?
Basically yes. As long as it works normally, don't worry about it.
Clutch life depends much on how the car is driven. Town driving with frequent gearshifts and stop-go traffic jams will wear the clutch out faster. On the other hand, long highway drives with the car cruising along in 5th gear most of the time will prolong clutch life.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Basically yes. As long as it works normally, don't worry about it.
Clutch life depends much on how the car is driven. Town driving with frequent gearshifts and stop-go traffic jams will wear the clutch out faster. On the other hand, long highway drives with the car cruising along in 5th gear most of the time will prolong clutch life.
That's what I thought. Just making sure. I have an 80 mile daily commute that is mostly on the NJ Turnpike. Thanks!

·
Registered
587 Posts
Yep. My daily commute is mostly 50 miles highway. I'm at just over 180k on my original clutch. Still works great though over the past year I've bought all the replacement parts (Exedy Stage 1 clutch, lightweight flywheel, and throw-out bearing) through eBay auctions for when the time comes. Cut the cost by average of 50%. All new open box parts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts