Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
last night i sat in my friend's 03 (same car as mine but newer) and felt his clutch. it was REALLY easy to press in compared to mine. he sat in mine and was amazed how stiff mine felt. his is a brand new clutch, but a really stiff clutch in a 00.. is that normal? my clutch also makes a clicking sound when pressed in at the bottom of the clutch, and sometimes when racing and shifting into second, second kind of makes a grind/clank sound when engaged. figured i'd mention those two things because maybe they're related. any advice would be appreciated :clap

my friend describes it as "unusually tight and stiff, requiring way more effort to engage than mine [referring to his clutch]"

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Beyond said:
last night i sat in my friend's 03 (same car as mine but newer) and felt his clutch. it was REALLY easy to press in compared to mine. he sat in mine and was amazed how stiff mine felt. his is a brand new clutch, but a really stiff clutch in a 00.. is that normal? my clutch also makes a clicking sound when pressed in at the bottom of the clutch, and sometimes when racing and shifting into second, second kind of makes a grind/clank sound when engaged. figured i'd mention those two things because maybe they're related. any advice would be appreciated :clap

my friend describes it as "unusually tight and stiff, requiring way more effort to engage than mine [referring to his clutch]"
It's going out.

how many miles are on the car? Do you live in a hilly area?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
kscoyote said:
It's going out.

how many miles are on the car? Do you live in a hilly area?
68xxx miles .. yes a hilly area

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Beyond said:
Jeez, you drive almost as much as I do!

yeah, it's probably time for a clutch.

They used to run around 300-350, I don't know what they run now . . .

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
kscoyote said:
Jeez, you drive almost as much as I do!

yeah, it's probably time for a clutch.

They used to run around 300-350, I don't know what they run now . . .
my dad and i were going to talk to a mechanic tomorrow morning about my gears, and he was gonna look at my clutch too. if my clutch is about to go out, is that normal for the amount of mileage i have, or will it be obvious i've been runnin the car?

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Beyond said:
my dad and i were going to talk to a mechanic tomorrow morning about my gears, and he was gonna look at my clutch too. if my clutch is about to go out, is that normal for the amount of mileage i have, or will it be obvious i've been runnin the car?
In San Francisco, they go out at 35000 miles.

It all depends on how hilly the area is, & how much stop & go there is. When I lived in Manhattan KS, I'd go 120,000 miles before I needed a clutch, in Topeka KS, it went out every 40-50,000 miles.

Factor #1 is stop & go traffic.

Factor #2 is HILLY stop & go traffic.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Beyond said:
Oh wait! You have a 2000 model!!

nvm, that's normal mileage!

I've got 88,000 on mine and it's 3 years newer!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.