Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, I'm stumped. I'm a newbie and I'm learning as I go. I'm one of those "read it in a book and do it" kind of learners. So I've been working really hard and tonight I pulled the 289 and 4 speed toploader out of my 1967 Coupe. I'm quite proud of myself. However, after separating the tranny and engine and realized I needed to also remove the clutch (duh, just sort of slipped my mind). I'm planning on taking the engine into the machine shop tomorrow for a sweet deal on a rebuild and they prefer it a long block, so I obviously need to get the clutch off. I'm also taking the transmission in to another shop to be rebuilt at the same time.

Here's the catch: I know absolutely nothing about clutches. I understand how they work, for the most part. But how do I get this thing off? My guidebooks are not being very helpful as not a single one mentions removal of the clutch. I have one book that talks through how to remove a clutch for replacement purposes, but it's just not making sense to me. Do I need to worry about marking the alignment since they are just going to be repainting the engine anyway? How do I get it back installed without knowing how it was aligned? I'm pretty sure I can figure out how to UNinstall the thing, but I'm worried about getting it RE-installed. Also... how can I tell if any parts of the clutch need replaced? It looks really good. The pressure plate still looks almost new and the clutch is just slightly brown from rust, but everything looks really good.

Newbie needs help!

·
Registered
825 Posts
The clutch consists of the (3) main parts: flywheel, disc, and pressure plate. Its a simple task of removing the (6) bolts from the outer edge of the pressure plate. The disc will then be loose and can be removed. The flywheel is bolted to the crank by either 6 or 8 bolts in the center. Clutch kits for this application are relativley inexpensive. I would recommend replaceing it since it is all apart. The clutch kit will come with a new throw out bearing and alignment tool for reassembly. Have the flywheel resurfaced while you have it all apart. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Hello eatplaysleep,
Great response from SilverGTvert, I just wanted to expand on
a few things to help you better understand the re-assembly and
a few thoughts on the condition of your current situation.

When you go to re-assemble the clutch you will use an alignment
tool as mentioned. The alignment tool looks like the front shaft
of the transmisiion but most likely made of plastic or wood.

Inside the center of the flywheel you will see a round ?bushing"
called the pilot bearong. When you go to re-assemble, what you do is pretty simple.

1. - Hold the clutch disc against the flywheel
2. - Insert "pilot tool" This tool wil linsert into the pilot bearing and stick ouit straight
3. - Place the pressure plate over the disc and tighten the pressure plate while keeping the alignment tool in place.
4. - Position the throw-out bearing on the bearing arm or shaft.
Keep in mind once the pressure plate is tight, it will hold the clutch disc in place. DO NOT push the pilot bearing shaft forward for any reason as this will loosen the clutch disc.
5. - Remove the pilot shaft tool
6. - Insert the nose of the transmission into the bell housing being careful not to force anything.

If installed correct, the transmission will slip into place.

One other thing to keep in mind - - you don't want to have to remove the clutch again so check the disc and fglywheel surface before re-install. Make certain the flywheel does not have crakcs or blue lines. The disc may have ribs that will show you wear signs.

You do nnot want to take things apart again so you may want to consider replacing all parts while apart.

You should be able to tell how things look -

Print Dad

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys for your help. You really eased some of my worrying. I swear, this project is going to give me ulcers! I pulled the clutch assembly this morning and then took the transmission in to the tranny shop and he highly recommended replacing the clutch so I'm going with a Spec diaphragm kit. He also took a look at the fly wheel and it was pretty beat up so I'm doing with a new 157 tooth diaphragm bolt pattern fly wheel. Talk about some expenses I hadn't calculated! Ouch!

Both the tranny and the engine are in for rebuilds as of today so here goes nothing!

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Hello eatplaysleep,
Sounds like you are doing things right. GREAT

Take your time and post any and all questions. You want
to do this right the first time. It is NOT too difficult to do
but just take your time and if NOT certain - stop and post.

It is always GREAT to hear of people trying new things.
Wait and see - someday you will be the one offering help to
others.

You can never go wrong replacing uncertain parts even though
things get costly. Keep in mind - for an everyday driver or even
an occasional boot - -you don't need "Super HIgh Performance parts
Most stock parts will be less expensive and work GREAT.

I HOPE we hear more when the parts come back

Print DAd

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Print Dad for the encouragement! It helps. I know I'll get there and believe me, I'm planning on posting pictures and a followup when it's all finished in a few weeks! I'm excited. It's gonna sound, run, and look amazing under that hood.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts