Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is the best clutch kit out there. dont worry about money or anything. If you had to pick one to put on your car regardless or price, what is it? thanks in advance

-Joe

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
depends. how much power are you putting down now and what are your plans for the future?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
near future wanna do 100shot of NoS and then maybe SC way down the road. i have stock cept catback catted x and CAI

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
well if you want to avoid having to beef up the clutch later down the road i would go with a stage 2. it's going to be too much clutch for what you have now but it will save you the hassle of having to buy another one later.

now as far as brands are concerned i'm kinda biased because i love my fidanza 2.1. it chattered a bit during break in and up to the 500 mile mark but now it's as smooth as can be. pedal effort was actually reduced (i also got steeda's firewall adjuster, adjustable clutch cable, and double hook quadrant). the only negative would probably be it's a tiny bit more touchy when you are trying to slip it.

plenty of other people are running spec stage 2's and love them too so it's really comes down to what brand you perfer.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
(i also got steeda's firewall adjuster, adjustable clutch cable, and double hook quadrant).
plenty of other people are running spec stage 2's and love them too so it's really comes down to what brand you perfer.
+1 on the Steeda adjustible setup, I love mine.

I have had the Spec Stage 2 for 30,000+ miles now with no issues. It has a firmer than stock feel and does chatter for the first 500-600 miles until broken in.

I am pushing 9# of boost and have had ZERO issues. It has been one of the best clutches I have owned!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Can't go wrong with a stage 2, Its moderate performance at a good price, and won't leave you kicking yourself later.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I would recommend Centerforce clutch, or Spec. Ram HD is a nice clutch setup as well.

·
Registered
109 Posts
just replaced mine with O'reilly's lifetime warranty kit, kit is same as the factory one except for the disc, you get pp, disc, TOB, pilot bearing and alignment tool, I had 129k when I did it and the reason was the TOB was screaming! if your mostly stock I would stick with stock, the higher the stage the rougher the engagement.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have a 02 GT also and my throw out bearing was screaming so I ordered the SPEC stage 1, the Steeda clutch cable adjuster kit, and I'm about to order an aluminum flywheel. Let me know how yours goes.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a 02 GT also and my throw out bearing was screaming so I ordered the SPEC stage 1, the Steeda clutch cable adjuster kit, and I'm about to order an aluminum flywheel. Let me know how yours goes.
My Uncle, who is an automechanic teacher for our school district, and also a very noligable automechanic said my car, 02 like urs, wasn't made for a aluminum flywheel. so idk if u wanna ask around and save urself $300-400. just something he told me bc i asked the same question. i wont have mine installed till atleast the 22nd of july. its when i get to use the car lifts at his school. good luck to u on yours though!

-Joe

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
I've heard great things about spec clutches and had great experience with the king cobra, but IMO the best clutch around is mcleod, hands down.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Well, Ive been askin around and I have got more positive stories than negative stories about the aluminum flywheel. I havent decided what to get yet. Im leaning towards the aluminum flywheel. Im probably not as educated on the subject, but from what Ive been taught, anything that lightens the load on the engine and helps it rev faster is good. The only concern I have is the engine being unbalanced because it was set up with a heavier flywheel. Im going to do some more research and Ill let you guys know.

·
Registered
625 Posts

i have this exact set up and love it. Haven't had any problems with the set up. Make sure the threads on the bolts they send you match the ones you take out. I wasn't paying attention and striped one of my threads and had to fix it.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Ram all the way................

·
Registered
603 Posts
Go with centerforce dual friction it the best and it last for ever

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.