Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to replace the clutch in my car in the next 1k-5k miles. It is a 08 Bullitt, with the added power and 3.73 gears over the gt (I know not a lot). Here is the question. Will a stage 1 clutch really make a difference on acceleration? I do not plan on making any horse power mods soon, but I can see a cam, long tube headers, and intake project during the life of the car. Also, will I need to replace the hydraulic throwout bearing, when replacing the clutch if it is stock or stage 1? I am pretty mechanically inclined with motorcycles. I have replaced clutches and piston rings, but cars make me nervous because they are bigger, cost more, and my car is my means of daily transportation. Any advice would be appreciated. :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Probably not with just the power/mods you have right now. A clutch is usually something you upgrade to handle increased power, just a clutch by itself will have no effect on acceleration. However if it has a lot of miles or abuse on it and start adding a lot of power it will likely have some issues.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Probably not with just the power/mods you have right now. A clutch is usually something you upgrade to handle increased power, just a clutch by itself will have no effect on acceleration. However if it has a lot of miles or abuse on it and start adding a lot of power it will likely have some issues.
Okay. Thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Unless your current clutch is slipping, it will have zero effect on acceleration. If it's locking up, it's doing it's job.

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
I just recently had my original stock clutch assembly replaced with a McLeod RXT twin disc clutch & billet steel flywheel. Admittedly a clutch rated for 1000hp is overkill for a car like mine, but a new OEM clutch assembly wouldn't have cost much less anyway and with the RXT, the pedal is lighter than stock with a smooth engagement making it more pleasant in stop/go traffic.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have decided when I change my clutch I am going with a ram OEM replacement and will most likely be taking my flywheel to get it resurfaced. Does anybody know of a parts retailer that resurfaces them? I have heard car quest does but I have yet to check. How durable are aluminum flywheels and do they really make a significant difference?

·
Registered
259 Posts
How durable are aluminum flywheels and do they really make a significant difference?
I would stay away from aluminum flywheels. They are expensive, and they often can't take the heat produced by the clutch and can warp. Also, some can be so light that they make daily driving hard.

If you are looking for a new flywheel (rather than turning your current one) and want some of the benefit of the lighter aluminum flywheel, then look for a lightened steel flywheel (Exedy makes a darn good one).

Also can anybody answer? When I replace the clutch will I need to replace the hydraulic throwout bearing?
It is highly recommended to change the hydraulic slave cylinder whenever a new clutch is put in. It is a critical piece, and you want it to live longer than the new clutch. Also not a bad idea to swap a new pilot bearing when doing the clutch, as it is ~$10.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
and a good time to upgrade the line to stainless steel. SR had them for around 50$. ive read some ppl have had trouble separating the trans from the motor. not sure what that's all about. good luck.

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
I did the whole shebang in one go; flywheel, clutch & pressure plates, slave cylinder, pilot bearing, and braided SS clutch line.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts