Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a used 07GT. The guy I bought it from said it had a Fidanza Alum. Flywheel and Spec 3 clutch. I was having noise issues and the pressure to use the clutch was hard on my knee so I bought a Fidanza 2.1 clutch kit and a new friction plate for the flywheel. Well, a friend was installing today, turns out the flywheel is still the FoMoCo stamped steel flywheel. He resurfaced it since I could not run out and buy a new one. He installed the clutch and took it fro a drive. The clutch is not fully engaging. He was doing research on modularfords.com I think and said people were talking about having to shim the flyweel to get full engagement. Is this true? If I get an alum Fidanza flywheel overnighted to have him install, do I still need a shim? Is there a new throwout bearing I should get for the complete install to be safe?

Please help, car is sitting at his shop until I can get parts to fix. He is going to have to pull the tranny again, so I want everything to be right.

Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
It should work with the steel flywheel. Would recommend you replace the slave cylinder.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
It should work with the steel flywheel. Would recommend you replace the slave cylinder.
The SPEC stage 3 clutch will not work with a stock flywheel without a shim.

Here's the straight scoop: You have to shim the slave cylinder, not the flywheel, when you use the stock flywheel with a spec stage 3, that's why you're not fully engaging. Spec has the shims available if you want to use your stock flywheel. I would definitely get a spec flywheel if you are using a spec clutch. Then you don't need to shim anything.

I also would recommend replacing the slave cylinder (think of it as a hydraulic throw-out bearing)since you have it opened, especially if you have over 10,000 miles on your car. You can ONLY get that at a ford dealer (last time I checked).

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
The SPEC stage 3 clutch will not work with a stock flywheel without a shim.

Here's the straight scoop: You have to shim the slave cylinder, not the flywheel, when you use the stock flywheel with a spec stage 3, that's why you're not fully engaging. Spec has the shims available if you want to use your stock flywheel. I would definitely get a spec flywheel if you are using a spec clutch. Then you don't need to shim anything.

I also would recommend replacing the slave cylinder (think of it as a hydraulic throw-out bearing)since you have it opened, especially if you have over 10,000 miles on your car. You can ONLY get that at a ford dealer (last time I checked).
Didn't know that Dan. Good info.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The slave cylinder was one of the main things I was wondering about, thanks for that info.

Actually, I am taking out the Spec 3 clutch and putting in a Fidanza 2.1. The guy who took out the Spec said there was no shim and it has the stock flywheel, probably why I was having some trouble.

Do you know if using a Fidanza clutch that I will need a shim with a stock flywheel, or if I go with an aluminum Fidanza flywheel will I need the shim? I can call Fidanza tomorrow and make sure, just checking with you guys also.

I will also inquire about the slave cylinder tomorrow with a dealer. This explains the McLeod slave cylinder I was reading about last night. I can't see myself buying a $500 slave cylinder though. Anyone know the cost of a new slave cylinder from a dealer?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Awesome, thanks! I was also able to get a price on the stock flywheel as I was wondering how much it was. If Fidanza says I do not have to have a shim I may go with the stock flywheel if there is one in town to pick up. My guess is, I need the shim, as it is not fully disengaging at the moment without one. Thanks again!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.