Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 V6 and I hate the clutch when driving in hilly San Francisco.

Has anyone ever upgraded with a stronger clutch?

·
Registered
653 Posts
Do not, I repeat... DO NOT get a SPEC Stage I clutch.... it is nooo good

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Do not, I repeat... DO NOT get a SPEC Stage I clutch.... it is nooo good
+1 on that. Also what ever you do, do NOT have the flywheel resurfaced. I did and now I'm paying the price as my clutch is just starting to poop on me in less than 15k miles. The only bright side to that is that I get to get rid of that POS Spec clutch that I have hated since day 1. Specs customer service blows too fwiw.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It looks like people have upgraded to the Spec 1 with horrible results. Why did you uprade in the 1st place?

·
Registered
653 Posts
Well, I figured since I didn't have much more power than stock, a stage 2 would be too much and stage 3 is just out of the question.. I'd kill the car with a clutch that'd grip like that or lose my tires in a matter of days :p So I went with a stage 1 cause I wanted more holding power than stock with just as much feathering. In all reality, I should've either put OEM back in or centerforce d/f I'm finding out..

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Well, I figured since I didn't have much more power than stock, a stage 2 would be too much and stage 3 is just out of the question.. I'd kill the car with a clutch that'd grip like that or lose my tires in a matter of days :p So I went with a stage 1 cause I wanted more holding power than stock with just as much feathering. In all reality, I should've either put OEM back in or centerforce d/f I'm finding out..
I just ordered all brand new Ford OEM parts. I got the clutch disk, pressure plate, pilot bearing and flywheel from Tousley Ford for about $560. I got new flywheel bolts from the dealership for a little over $40. My stuff should be here Tuesday, and hopefully I can get it all in by Friday

·
Registered
653 Posts
Just make sure to replace the master cylinder, slave cylinder, and the line between them.. If you don't displace enough fluid, your clutch may not disengage all the way. I don't know how many miles are on your current clutch, but I would highly recommend replacing hydraulic parts as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts