Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys..

I'm thinking of getting one of the new 4" aluminum driveshafts from Coast Driveline and Gears for my 2005, 4.0. It goes for about $525 + Shipping. Does anyone have any comments (good/bad) about this driveshaft / manufacturer? Should I get it, or is do you guys lean toward another brand? Your thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks !

http://www.coastdriveline.com/NEW_Mustang.htm

·
Registered
5 Posts
you should check out a carbon fiber driveshaft there only a little bit mot in price and there much lighter

·
Registered
241 Posts
While I'm sure there is nothing wrong with their driveshafts, don't recall hearing anyone having one in the group. Most of us either run Shaftmasters or CHE's. I can personally attest to the shaftmasters, great piece of gear. Solidly built and they stand behind their work. They also post to this forum occaisionally, so it's nice to support them.

·
Registered
121 Posts
you should check out a carbon fiber driveshaft there only a little bit mot in price and there much lighter
I don't know of any carbon fiber drive shafts for the v6. Also a carbon fiber drive shaft will run about $500 more then most aluminum drive shafts.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I don't know of any carbon fiber drive shafts for the v6. Also a carbon fiber drive shaft will run about $500 more then most aluminum drive shafts.
i have only seen it once, but i witnessed a carbon drive shaft splinter, it was wild. it was on a purpose built supra but it still twisted it like a cheap pencil. the way it exploded it looked like fiberglass.

·
Registered
558 Posts
people say how light certain ones are, how much lighter are we talkin here?

·
Registered
28 Posts
people say how light certain ones are, how much lighter are we talkin here?
Comparing an OEM to an aluminum shaft? The OEMs are about twice as heavy. The weight difference between different aluminum shafts I guess could vary by a pound or so. Maybe 2-3 if you're comparing 3.5's and 4's.

I did feel a difference after installing mine (shaftmasters), but not sure about picking up the hp/tq that coast is claiming.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Comparing an OEM to an aluminum shaft? The OEMs are about twice as heavy. The weight difference between different aluminum shafts I guess could vary by a pound or so. Maybe 2-3 if you're comparing 3.5's and 4's.

I did feel a difference after installing mine (shaftmasters), but not sure about picking up the hp/tq that coast is claiming.
What gains are they claiming?

·
Registered
28 Posts
What gains are they claiming?
From the link in the original post:
Now it's official! Here is a dyno graph, before and after the Coast Driveline Gen-5 Mustang Ultralight Aluminum Driveshaft, driveshaft tested on a Roush Mustang.

This is direct proof that the driveshaft makes about a 14HP peak increase, and 16 ft/lb of torque increase.

Not sure why any other on the "Roush Mustang" wasn't given. If those numbers are true, anyone care to guess a ballpark figure for gains on a V6?

·
Registered
558 Posts
From the link in the original post:
Now it's official! Here is a dyno graph, before and after the Coast Driveline Gen-5 Mustang Ultralight Aluminum Driveshaft, driveshaft tested on a Roush Mustang.

This is direct proof that the driveshaft makes about a 14HP peak increase, and 16 ft/lb of torque increase.

Not sure why any other on the "Roush Mustang" wasn't given. If those numbers are true, anyone care to guess a ballpark figure for gains on a V6?
It's hard to trust any of those advertisements. That is why people make thread after thread on here asking if throttle body spacers will really give them 8 lbs or torque and 8 horsepower.

·
Registered
168 Posts
It's hard to trust any of those advertisements. That is why people make thread after thread on here asking if throttle body spacers will really give them 8 lbs or torque and 8 horsepower.
Lol, exactly, their gains are completely true, they're not lying, but they always do the tests on cars putting out 400+ hp to begin with, so in reality on a relatively stock V6, they're not going to do much of anything, sorry.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Shaftmasters

I bought mine from shaftmasters. I got mine for $499 delivered to my door. I like the quality of this product. I bought the 4 inch one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.