Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am working on a 65 coupe and a 66 convert for a couple of my customers. On both cars, I am replacing both quarters, outer wheel wells, and the flooring pieces that go over the frame and shoot down to the quarter. On the 65 I am putting in some mini tubs. Anyways, I know they came originally with the splatter coating or whatever it was called. I really want it to look nice though and never thought that stuff was all that great. I have a simple bed liner system that I can spray that isnt rough or course, but better than rubberized undercoating, that I have thought about using. There is also a sound and climate control material called lizard skin that looks good, but pricey. or just leaving it smooth, but then there is no sound deadening. What have you guys done? any pics out there? Thanks

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Sorry, no pics yet as mine is still original ('67 can take a couple of the stock trunk if you need me to post) but if I were the customer I'd prefer the bedliner as it's similar to the original rubberized stuff but more solid and less messy when dry. You could always give it an overspray of the exterior color and it would look factory, that's what mine looks like now > oversprayed in Red that's on the exterior.
I think GM used the splatter spray as I haven't seen it in the classic mustangs from '65-'70.

I used bedliner spray on my inner fender wells (2 coats) just lately and they came out nice and should repel stones well.

The lizard skin is more expensive so unless the customer is really sound deadening the entire car and insulating from road noise I think it would be overkill and with minitubs it doesn't sound like the car is going to be quiet in the first place...
Just my .02,
Jon

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I ended up using Raptor bedliner system. it came out looking pretty good I think. Plus I put it one fairly thick. So it should offer some sound deadening effects.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Nice job, wish I could get my inner wheel wells coated that well in my Coupe. Is that an access hole to check for moisture build up in the corner of the front rt. rocker? I would guess that's where water would sit from the conv. top?

As stated earlier, if you give the trunk a quick overspray of the exteririor color with no clear coat it'll look like factory.
Jon

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Truck bed liner is tough stuff.
Be sure you read the Tech sheet about the Iso's that are in the polyurethane spray.
It is nasty stuff that can kill you. Really.
Wear a good fitting respirator (organic filter) and skin protection (Iso's are absorbed through skin)
Just a word of caution.

Good Luck and Be Safe
Ron

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
jonk67, i am not sure about the access port, i dont believe so, it may be a drain of some sort. plus its a coupe.

shnate, it wasnt too expensive. i think retail is like $130-140, it comes with 4 separate containers of the liner and the hardener. you pour the hardener into the container, shake it up and attach the spray gun to the same container and spray. the inner section, the wheel well, and the whole inner part of the quarter took one of the containers. plus i sprayed it fairly heavy. you have to get a certain type of spray gun for it, not sure how much they are, have had mine forever. whomever you get the kit from should have the gun. i get my stuff locally, check and see where there is a auto paint supplier in your area, sherman williams, ppg, dupont, etc. or Auto Body Toolmart, they have it also, but would have to pay s&h.

thanks for the info guys:bigthumbsup

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.