Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I recently purchased a Ford Racing 10th anniversary brake kit for my 99GT. I took my car to a local shop for the install and they installed the 13 inch rotors and new calipers up front but couldn't install the rear rotors/calipers because they said something about having to remove my rear axles to bolt up the new parts and that they didn't have some kind of special tool that is required to remove the rear axles. Does anyone know what the heck they are talking about, I'm just trying to figure out why my rear axles need to be removed to install new brakes.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
There is no special tool needed, you just went to a shop with a bunch of lazy dumasses. You should a) find a better shop. or b) install them yourself if you've got tools and a jack. It's really not that difficult of an install.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So do my rear axles have to be removed and if so, how do I do it?

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
what exactly does that kit consist of? does it have new brackets for the caliper mount for a bigger cobra rotor or something? cuz you can remove the caliper bracket without taking out the axles. but if need be, the only tools you need to take out the axles would be
-ratchet
-13mm or 1/2 inch socket
-8mm or 5/16 wrench (6 point is best)
-lug wrench 21mm or 13/16
-either a 13 or 15 mm bolt holds on the caliper bracket
-and 10 or 13mm holds on the caliper.

take off the wheels
take off the caliper/ mounting bracket
take off the rotor slides off after the bracket and caliper are removed
off with the diff cover. (be sure to have a drain pan ready for the fluid)
rotate the driveshaft till you see the 8 mm bolt on the right side of the carrier
take it out, slide the shiney pin in the middle of the carrier out
push the axles in towards eachother
take off the c clips on the end of the axles,
just like that you can slide them right out!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, it does have a new bracket that relocates the caliper enabling it to fit the larger rotor. The technician showed it to me, and from what I see it does look like the axles need to come out to enable you to slide the new bracket over it and then bolt it up.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Larry Sergent said:
I want your program/book whatever you have with every known web site for a given application.:worship
-- ah, grasshopper, the program/book is within you. I'm simply more comfortable w/Search Engines (favorite: www.dogpile.com) and Boolean searches. For example: entering ("brake upgrade" AND mustang) and then taking the time to look through a bunch of links returned the links I posted.

·
Registered
276 Posts
meatball said:
-- ah, grasshopper, the program/book is within you. I'm simply more comfortable w/Search Engines (favorite: www.dogpile.com) and Boolean searches. For example: entering ("brake upgrade" AND mustang) and then taking the time to look through a bunch of links returned the links I posted.
But Master, surely there is more to it than that. Will I ever be able to see the scrolls, to read the ancient writings of your ancestors. Perhaps the honorable Dogpile would have compassion upon me for my current plight?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey, I picked my car up from the Ford Dealer yesterday (yeah, I know I got raped on labor charges) and those Cobra brakes all the way around make one heck of a difference. I am very pleased with the end result. I'll post pics soon with my new wheels, lower stance and new brakes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.