Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I am just about to purchase a 1998 Cobra 32V engine which I intend to put into my 1996 GT.
At the occasion of having the engine out, I was wondering about what can and should be done before installing it, given that work on the engine is much easier while not in the vehicle.
My shortlist currently is

- Deeper Oil Pan
- Windage Tray
- Hi-Temp Oil Pan Gasket
- New Cobra Clutch and Flexplate
- 255 l/hr Fuel Pump (BUT the hassle of removing the fuel tank would be required...)
- New 24 lb Injectors (same size as in the Cobra engine, but if I go for GT injectors I do not need to modify the wiring harness, is that right?)
- Shorty Headers, as they are a pita to swap afterwards
- MSD Digital Window Switch to control the IRMC of the Cobra
- Disable Knock Sensors

What else should I or need I consider?

Also, assuming I have the space and the tools required, would it be a better idea to lift the engine out, or better remove the subframe and lower the motor out of the body on a hoist?

Any advice highly appreciated!! Thanks

·
Registered
475 Posts
96-mustang-gt said:
Hi everyone,

I am just about to purchase a 1998 Cobra 32V engine which I intend to put into my 1996 GT.
At the occasion of having the engine out, I was wondering about what can and should be done before installing it, given that work on the engine is much easier while not in the vehicle.
My shortlist currently is

- Deeper Oil Pan
- Windage Tray
- Hi-Temp Oil Pan Gasket
- New Cobra Clutch and Flexplate
- 255 l/hr Fuel Pump (BUT the hassle of removing the fuel tank would be required...)
- New 24 lb Injectors (same size as in the Cobra engine, but if I go for GT injectors I do not need to modify the wiring harness, is that right?)
- Shorty Headers, as they are a pita to swap afterwards
- MSD Digital Window Switch to control the IRMC of the Cobra
- Disable Knock Sensors

What else should I or need I consider?

Also, assuming I have the space and the tools required, would it be a better idea to lift the engine out, or better remove the subframe and lower the motor out of the body on a hoist?

Any advice highly appreciated!! Thanks
might wanna check in to heavy duty motor mounts? just incase

·
Registered
126 Posts
Be sure to get the computer and complete engine wiring harness for the donar Cobra. Also get the exhaust manifolds or purchase a set of headers for the Cobra. I am sorta new to the Modular motors but I have never heard of needing to modify the harness when upgrading to 24# injectors.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
You'll also need to purchase a Cobra master cylinder. The GT master cylinder is too big to clear the wide valve covers of the Cobra engine. You'll probably also need to upgrade your radiator to keep the engine cool.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Project is completed, motor is in and running...
Yes I have a big aluminum radiator, and no I kept the stock brake booster (but it was hard to squeeze the engine past it...)

·
Registered
130 Posts
What do you guys think of swapping a 96-98 cobra motor into a 99-04 gt? Is it possible? If so, around how much would I need to spend and what parts would I need?

·
Banned
2,873 Posts
What do you guys think of swapping a 96-98 cobra motor into a 99-04 gt? Is it possible? If so, around how much would I need to spend and what parts would I need?
Absolutely possible, but I don't suggest it. I'm not a fan of B headed 4V engines, especially N/A. You're better off modding your 2V, or getting a Mach 1 or 99/01 Cobra engine.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Yeah I checked those two crate engines out. But im gonna have to spend at least 7500 i think. I dont think i can afford that right now. So y exactly arent you a fan of the b headed 32 valve engine? Please enlighten me.

·
Banned
2,188 Posts
IMRC plates and cooling issues to name a few! Although they do have the oh-so-great aluminum Teskid block.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Mustangs are great and all but you should probably think about beefing something else up with a turbo or supercharger before you go for the 32 valve. People are charging way too much just because they make 500RWHP w/boltons. They're not that special. Like your boy says. Stick with your 2 valve. For that price you can buy a crate motor, modify everything in it and on it, come out cheaper and with more horsepower IMO. Good luck if you do something like that. I'd twin turbo your 2V for 6000-7500 and spank butt cheeks on 4v's all day long. Then you've also go the cool factor and you and put a blowoff valve on it. HOLLA!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.