1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all.
just a general question.
im rather new to the mustang world, so dont poke fun :p

but im curious about the ford motorsports cobra intake, and whether or not it has matching heads.

if it does have matching heads, should they be installed together?

also, is this a worthy combination? or should i save up for gt40 heads/intakes

what is the difference between cobra and gt40 intakes, i notice they both have similar stagger patterns.

what kind of power gains should i expect from adding a cobra intake and heads.

if i shouldnt get either, what should i get instead (planning on building over winter)

edit:

after reading a little i see that the cobra intakes/heads are cast iron. i hear this is no good. what im looking for is great low end, and good high RPM performance. i hear edelbrock is all about high rpm. put me in my place guys, im lookin for good advice

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ya okay
just to clarify
im looking to make this a mildly modded street car.
basically im looking for enough power to eat up most competition on the road.
im not trying to make a 500 hp 9 sec monster.

·
Banned
4,476 Posts
the GT40 heads are not the best, if I was in the market for heads, I would buy AFR's, and for an intake, the new Cobra intakes that FRPP sells now are made in China and are not the same as the real ones, I would buy a Trick Flow intake instead

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
It depends....

I know thats a horrible answer, but thats the reality of it. If I had the choice, I would put AFR 165 heads and someother kind of intake (such as trick flow or probably the edelbrock), but in reality I dont have $2000 to drop on that (about $600 for the intake and $1300 for the heads). Maybe eventually, but certainly not in the near future. Instead i am probably going GT40. The Cobra intake and GT40 are different (power wise) only slightly with the GT40 being slightly more powerful, but a ported Cobra will outflow the GT40 which I dont even think can be ported because of its thin-walled, tubular design. The Cobra heads are GT40 heads and they are good for probably 35-40 hp with an intake manifold. Ported you can see some serious gains (this is what i plan to do).

The bottom line is this, how much money do you have, or can you save? If its alot, then yeah, go aluminum, but if youre a cheap, broke college kid like me, youre gettin cast iron...:)

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<--- cheap broke college kid :)

thats really the info i was lookin for.
now if you dont mind, explain this porting business to me?

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Porting is basically the process of doing 2 things. First and foremost removing any material that prohibits smooth flow through the passages or runners, ie: semi-abrupt edges and sharp angles. The 2nd thing is simply making the passage or runner larger in diameter. This way you get seriously increased flow. Simply porting a stock head can net gains of 35 hp, its pretty impressive. You od have to be very careful however, or youllwind up chewing through a wall, or simply overdoing it and ruin a good head or manifold.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so the trick would be to buy some gt40 or cobra heads and have a pro or a machine shop port (and polish?) them before i install?

sounds like a plan.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.