Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Im hearing good things about the cobra intake manifold. How does it stack up against other intake manifolds such as Trick Flow's street heat, Edlebrocks performer series, BBK's SSI, and Holley's Systemax?

What do you guys think of this intake manifold.?

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
o-boy you just opened the flood gates. As i understand it the cobra intake is good if you are looking for more low end power and torque. the holley is better for high rpm power. If you just have a stock 5.0 and are looking for street power go with the cobra or trick flow intake. Im sure somebody will say im wrong.......

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The cobra is a good intake if you are working a budget build.....

But the real power is to be found in the holley

JMO the BBK is junk.......

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Hey Im hearing good things about the cobra intake manifold. How does it stack up against other intake manifolds such as Trick Flow's street heat, Edlebrocks performer series, BBK's SSI, and Holley's Systemax?

What do you guys think of this intake manifold.?
If your aim is towards low rev torque and you're not planning to rev the engine beyond 5500rpm, the Edelbrock Performer is the best with a stock unported Cobra second. A ported Cobra will match the Edelbrock.
For higher rpm performance (up to 6500rpm), the Holley Systemax and Edelbrock Performer RPM II are the best.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
I have the tubular GT40... same as the Cobra but COOLER :hihi:... I'm very pleased with it. Has good low and mid range power, not so great up high but I think a better set of heads and a cam will help that. :D

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
Like it's been pointed out, there's two categories there. The Cobra, GT40, Explorer, TFS Street Heat, they're good street intakes that give great driveability. The Holley Systemax, Edelbrock RPM II, TFS Track Heat, Weiand EFI, those are a step up from the first group because they give more power in the upper rpm ranges.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im more looking for lower rpm power.. I was gonna go with the trick flow street heat untill i started hearing good things about the cobra..

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Im more looking for lower rpm power.. I was gonna go with the trick flow street heat untill i started hearing good things about the cobra..
Get one of the GT40 intakes.

Tubular- Amazing looking, actually performs just a bit better (not much though). The tubular design actually helps keep it cooler compared to the cast Cobra and Explorer intakes. EXPENSIVE

Cobra- Still good looking, performs the same as the tubular. Mid range price. I've seen them on E-bay from $250-$400.

Explorer- Not as good looking, although I've seen some painted that look pretty good. Great bargain. You can find them for $200ish. Still performs the same.

:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
GT40 intake? where do i find that??
The tubular GT40, Cobra, and Explorer intake are all GT40 intakes.

If you're asking about the tubular intake, you can only get that on places like ebay because they are no longer in production. Which kinda explains the $400-600 price tag on them.

·
Registered
514 Posts
well i could get a trick flow for 450
you could and it'll work well but if your on a tight budget just go with an explorer intake .....they dont have to look ugly.

i actually like the looks of them over a cobra or gt-40 intake

i snaged this one (unpolished) for $100 for both the upper and lower

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
GT40 intake? where do i find that??
Explorer intakes are dime a dozen in ebay so you'll easily snag one for less than $200. I recently bought an Edelbrock Performer intake in ebay for $182. This is how it looked after I cleaned it, painted it with heat-resistant aluminium paint, and installed it in the Stang:

·
Registered
369 Posts
so if you are looking for better low end torque on a daily driver, and not needing it to handle 6500rpm.... Which do you guys think you should spend the money on? Is the Cobra at least near the top of the list?

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Cobra/GT40/Explorers are at the top of the list when it comes to torque.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts