Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So browsing on craigslist I wandered across a 351 Cobra Jet engine for sale. The ad reads:

"UP FOR SALE IS MY 71 COBRA JET MOTOR, IT'S BRAND NEW, MINUS INTAKE AND ROLLER ROCKERS. THIS HAS A CAT. GEAR DRIVE, 602 LIFT 605 DURATION. THE LIST
GOES ON AND ON. NEED THE SPACE SOON THATS WHY IT'S PRICED TO SELL.
THANKS FOR LOOKING"

I emailed him a bit ago and awaiting an answer for more information but that's what I have so far. He wants 1500$ for it but can probably talk it down with cash.

Now my questions are:

1) Is it even worth it? If more information is needed before it's decided it's okay.

2) These blocks are the stronger of the 351's that were produced right? If so/not what can this block handle HP wise?

3) Would I have a problem dropping this into my 89 Hatch and S/C it to about 600fwhp?

4) Any other information I should know before I dive deeper into this?

Please keep this on topic about the engine itself. I understand the cost of 600 horses. I understand motor work alone can't be done to do everything properly. Also I would look up much more about it, but I have a paper or two to write before midnight tonight and need to get them done :kooky:

·
Banned
7,170 Posts
you do know this is a 351 cleveland. depending on all the parts it should be worth 1500. it will make 600 easy, and will fit the fox with correct headers and oil pan.

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
Well also parts are hard to find so find out exactly what coming with this motor.

·
Banned
7,170 Posts
parts are not that hard to get, they are a little more expensive. i am building a cleveland for a customer now and we have been able to get everything we need. the cleveland is a great engine. there are a few little tricks you have to do to them to make them better.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts