Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to upgrade my intake manifolds for my 92 GT. I am curious on how much difference there is between the 93 Cobra Intake VS the GT-40 Intake. Or are they the same? As far as performance, horsepower, etc... I know money wise the Cobra is cheaper, but I have been able to find used GT-40's in good condition. I have heard that the GT-40 is a little bit better, that is flows better. What do you guys think?

Of course I am thinking about upgrading my heads, valve covers, etc... but I want to start with the intake manifold.

·
Registered
97 Posts
bro its the same thing. the gt040 is from the cobra block or ford explorers. I would ebay it ,and get them used,who knows maybe new, ive seen some good buys. But cost is up to your patientce and searching abilities. performance is the same....end of story.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Gt40/Cobra/Explorer all flow within a couple of cfm of each other - and if you've seen that old 1996 test on Eddelbrock's website - don't believe it as it has been proven wrong over and over and over......

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
I've always seen them flow very similiarly like Tmoss has stated and in my opinion, you should not waste your time swapping.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I'm content with my Cobra Upper and Lower. Maybe I'll get them ported one day, but for now, they flow just fine.

As stated by my above enthusiasts, there is so little a difference that it boils down to price. If you can find a set of GT-40s that are comparable in price to Cobra's, get them. If not, Cobra's will work just as well.

·
Registered
62 Posts
If you go with an Explorer intake, try to get a 96 or 97 version. Those have the proper internal EGR passages.

I got stuck with the 98 version, which uses external EGR. So I'm EGR-less for now.

·
Registered
123 Posts
i have the cobra and am perfectly happy with it, but i have a separate question, is there anything BETTER to get? i'v seen trickflow becoming more popular on my streets but is there something out there better then the cobra or gt40 that i can upgrade to?

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Vinchenzo51 said:
i have the cobra and am perfectly happy with it, but i have a separate question, is there anything BETTER to get? i'v seen trickflow becoming more popular on my streets but is there something out there better then the cobra or gt40 that i can upgrade to?
With stock heads, no there isn't.

·
Registered
183 Posts
the difference in the gt-40 and the crobra upper will be in rpm range their horspower and torque wil be at different places, the gt40 is more for the top side. also their is a difference in the lower intakes on the earlier cobra intakes. the later intakes were better as they are the actual explorer intake the casting # should be f77f

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Hmmmm - lets take a look at Anderson Ford Motorsport dyno test of all theree on the same Mule.......

Attachments

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
so blunt. i love it.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
just the facts ma'm, just the facts (Joe Friday).......no animosity or any other kind of emotion should be read into that either..............

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
nope. just straight info with no garbage to confuse us. i love reading your posts. i always learn something.

·
Registered
122 Posts
lets not forget about the fact that the gt-40 looks cool. at least i love the look of it with the seperate tubular runners...

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
green91 said:
lets not forget about the fact that the gt-40 looks cool. at least i love the look of it with the seperate tubular runners...

If that is worth the extra $200-$300, go for it. It was not for me.............

·
Registered
365 Posts
lol ya i agree with green91. It does look cool... so if you could find a used one on e-bay for about 300, then it wouldn't make a difference. Plus according to the dyno, its got more torque!:laughlitt

·
Registered
223 Posts
I got the '96 Explorer complete intake set-up,GT40 heads, 65mm throttlebody,and the tranny cooler for $200.00 at the salvage yard (had to pull them myself).37,000 miles on them.I've yet to install the heads and throttlebody,but i did get the intake on.I really felt a difference.Bang for the buck I guess.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
redhot87 said:
Plus according to the dyno, its got more torque!:laughlitt
The dyno I posted???????????

I'd look again.............

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
I'm all for trickflow intakes. I ran it on my stock heads, GT40p heads and finally on ported trackheat heads. It was a huge improvement over the stock intake.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
A ported lower intake is a huge improvement over the stock lower - Ford really blew that one.........

1 - 20 of 42 Posts