Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new here and I just bought my first classic Mustang project- 1966 Hardtop, 289, manual 3 speed. One of the previous rebuilders started with the engine. I do not have any history but that it was bored 10 over, it has never been started since rebuild and the "rest is stock because they wanted a daily driver". But, it also has Edelbrock Performer Intake and Carberator (600cfm 4 barrel) and a MSD electronic ignition, distributor and coil. But the thing that drives me crazy is that it has Cobra valve covers and a Cobra air cleaner (that will take some hood modifying to fit). I've looked high and low to understand if the "Cobra" actually means anything significant to the engine or if it is just wannabee stuff installed.... It'd be like me wearing pink shorts with "JUICY" across my butt---just silly.

Thank you for some insight. I need to understand this before I go with them on the car.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
I wouldn't quite put "Cobra" stuff in the same category as pink shorts with single-word sayings, but if the car's not a Shelby, I can see your point.

Caroll Shelby's mustangs sported valve covers and air cleaners with the Cobra logo on them. If I remember my history, Lee Iacocca asked Shelby to make his "cute little secretary car" into something meaner, and Shelby obliged. By tweaking the front suspension a little, adding a better intake, Tri-Y headers, and a few other minor changes, he was able to take the 289 Hi-Po engine (which made something like 275 flywheel horsepower) and improved that to just over 300 horses. The big-block Cobra Mustangs also wore badging.

Honestly, I wouldn't take offense to someone who puts dress up stuff like that in their Mustang, even if it was originally a 289 2V - especially if they've made an effort to making the engine a bit hotter than stock. It's a mark of respect just as much as a "Me too!" in my opinion.

If you decide to go back to stock valve covers and air cleaner, that's classy. But let's face it... those valve covers are way better than a huge "Type R" or "V-Tec" sticker on your windshield, eh?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wouldn't quite put "Cobra" stuff in the same category as pink shorts with single-word sayings, but if the car's not a Shelby, I can see your point.

Caroll Shelby's mustangs sported valve covers and air cleaners with the Cobra logo on them. If I remember my history, Lee Iacocca asked Shelby to make his "cute little secretary car" into something meaner, and Shelby obliged. By tweaking the front suspension a little, adding a better intake, Tri-Y headers, and a few other minor changes, he was able to take the 289 Hi-Po engine (which made something like 275 flywheel horsepower) and improved that to just over 300 horses. The big-block Cobra Mustangs also wore badging.

Honestly, I wouldn't take offense to someone who puts dress up stuff like that in their Mustang, even if it was originally a 289 2V - especially if they've made an effort to making the engine a bit hotter than stock. It's a mark of respect just as much as a "Me too!" in my opinion.

If you decide to go back to stock valve covers and air cleaner, that's classy. But let's face it... those valve covers are way better than a huge "Type R" or "V-Tec" sticker on your windshield, eh?
T
You are right that they are much nicer looking than the originals. Thank you for your perspective. I guess I shouldn't worry about tradition since I plan to chop-the-top... Hahaha. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
I think there's a big difference between someone who appreciates the look of the Cobra engine dress up stuff, and a person that tries to pass off their car as an original Shelby.

Frankly, when it's well done, I don't even have a problem with someone faking a Shelby either - so long as they don't lie about it when they try to sell it!

Those cars were pretty sharp. =)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts