Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put a new suspension in on my 72 mustang and i was wondering if i have to put coil spring isolators in on top of the springs or can i just put the springs in. Im only 19 and ive never heard of coil spring isolators until now. i go to school right now so i can be a mechanic but ive never heard of those but i never work on old cars but any suggestions would be great thanks.

·
Registered
233 Posts
insulators

Hi Cody!:wavey
I believe those hard rubber things are insulators. If you have the spring seated against metal, it would groan, squeak, etc.. So the insulator is noise reduction I would think.
dne'

·
Registered
392 Posts
Also wear reduction. Easier to put them in the first time the springs are out, rather that taking the springs back out to add them later. Also note that when you put the new springs in, the car will be sitting too high. They will settle down in a while ( sometimes a long while )

Joel

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
alright thanks do you happen to know what size i need because the ones i ordered from summit racing were too small.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well, if you're only 19, that is probably why you have never heard of spring isolators. Um, just about every newer car has them. Both my pickups have them (2008, and 1997) Not sure what cars you are working on, but if you want a quieter rattle free ride, they work well. Just wait til one goes bad and you'll notice. Most if not all higher end cars have them. VW's, Audi, BMW, Caddy, Mercedes....etc

·
Registered
392 Posts
check out mustangsunlimited.com and search for springs for your car. They usually do a pretty good job of indicating what else you will need.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts