Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my '68, I am going to remove my front coil springs in order to cut them down a little to lower the front end height. P.O put them in four years ago now and have about 1,500 miles on them so I think they are settled. No, I am not going to do the Arning drop as the car is stock.

1) Do you guys remove the shock tower covers? Seems like keeping the shock tower covers on could provide a measure of safety if something bad happens. If you do keep them on, do you need to remove the the upper arm from the shock tower?
2) While I am at it, I am going to put in open tracker roller spring perches. Seeing as they will be off, does that change any answers to the above? I did read on another forum that the roller perches are a waste of money if not doing the Arning drop. I do drive the car gently. Thoughts?
3) All the internal spring compressors I have seen have two legs at each end to grab the coil. Sure seems that three legs would be safer. Do they exist?
4) Does it make any sense to remove the shocks with the car (and tires) on the ground, then install the compressor (will the legs fit through the semi collapsed coils?). Then raise the car, remove the tires and go from there?
5) Any other tips or tricks?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I never removed the shock towers from my 1967 Fairlane when I put the new springs and perches in and that's almost the same car as a 1967/68 Mustang.
I've never seen an internal 3 leg spring compressor only an external set. You could use a disc type internal spring compressor. They are more expensive but are much easier to use.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I would recommend getting something safer than the using the 2-leg cheap chinese ones, I had one "leg" break/slip off after removal of the old springs on my 66' GT, when adding the new, larger GT springs, it slipped/broke on installing the passenger side and only one leg on the compressor was still on the spring, it was bow'ed like a rainbow!
Unknown how much pressure it was holding with just one leg, It scared the heck out of me!
Not trying to scare you at all just want you to be safe, aware and successful with your project, plus getting wounded sucks!
I thought i was all good till that happened, ended up getting a borrowed Snap-on spring compressor it made it cake, wish I'd used that in the first place. I think the snap on one i used had a disk that slipped inside the spring. (was many years ago).

Also, it took a lot more driving than what you've done for my "new" GT springs to work themselves down, not sure i'd recommend doing what you're thinking right now and drive this car and work it in somewhere you can safely and get that front end broke in, it should settle down in mileage and time.
Its possible you'd cut the springs and "after time" they'll be too low. But if it needs fixin now and time is not on your side, you gotta do what ya gotta do I suppose.

Since 1994 i've actually run thru 3 sets of tires (and diff tire sizes) as the suspension worked it's way down, (and rubbed the fenders front and rear)
I kinda think I got the wrong spring kit at the time, I don't know for sure. The original GT springs I removed weren't as big as the ones I put in, almost like I got springs for a larger engine or big block. But it was in the early 90's.

And to try to answer your questions:
I googled and found some good videos on youtube, the below link shows a 1 piece screw type with 4 attachment tips.
How to Remove the Front Suspension From Your Mustang EPISODE 326 Autorestomod

Hopefully that video and/or others will answer your questions here.

Wish i had youtube back in the day but we do now, so watch a few vid's don't take just one for granted. Esp if you can find one by a reputable company like CJ Pony, or NPD that show you how to install the parts the sell. I've used the crap out of the vid's CJ's has for some of their stuff.

Anyways, Good luck whatever you do here but I thought I'd share my experience hopefully it helps, Let us know how it goes!

T

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would recommend getting something safer than the using the 2-leg cheap chinese ones, I had one "leg" break/slip off after removal of the old springs on my 66' GT, when adding the new, larger GT springs, it slipped/broke on installing the passenger side and only one leg on the compressor was still on the spring, it was bow'ed like a rainbow!
Unknown how much pressure it was holding with just one leg, It scared the heck out of me!
Not trying to scare you at all just want you to be safe, aware and successful with your project, plus getting wounded sucks!
I thought i was all good till that happened, ended up getting a borrowed Snap-on spring compressor it made it cake, wish I'd used that in the first place. I think the snap on one i used had a disk that slipped inside the spring. (was many years ago).

Also, it took a lot more driving than what you've done for my "new" GT springs to work themselves down, not sure i'd recommend doing what you're thinking right now and drive this car and work it in somewhere you can safely and get that front end broke in, it should settle down in mileage and time.
Its possible you'd cut the springs and "after time" they'll be too low. But if it needs fixin now and time is not on your side, you gotta do what ya gotta do I suppose.

Since 1994 i've actually run thru 3 sets of tires (and diff tire sizes) as the suspension worked it's way down, (and rubbed the fenders front and rear)
I kinda think I got the wrong spring kit at the time, I don't know for sure. The original GT springs I removed weren't as big as the ones I put in, almost like I got springs for a larger engine or big block. But it was in the early 90's.

And to try to answer your questions:
I googled and found some good videos on youtube, the below link shows a 1 piece screw type with 4 attachment tips.
How to Remove the Front Suspension From Your Mustang EPISODE 326 Autorestomod

Hopefully that video and/or others will answer your questions here.

Wish i had youtube back in the day but we do now, so watch a few vid's don't take just one for granted. Esp if you can find one by a reputable company like CJ Pony, or NPD that show you how to install the parts the sell. I've used the crap out of the vid's CJ's has for some of their stuff.

Anyways, Good luck whatever you do here but I thought I'd share my experience hopefully it helps, Let us know how it goes!

T
Wow. Thanks for all the great info and the video. I will watch the video and others. Thanks again.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I've got a spring compressor that I bought for my '65 where you remove the front shock, and bolt the tool into place using the lower shock mounting point on the upper control arm, and the top of the shock tower. You can let the tension off of the installed spring by turning the nut on the threaded rod, make your adjustments or install your new spring, and then use the tool to compress the spring right in the car. The added bonus of this setup is the spring can't jump out at you, because the tool runs up thru the center of the spring, and its attached to the car, not just the spring. Good Luck and Be Safe.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've got a spring compressor that I bought for my '65 where you remove the front shock, and bolt the tool into place using the lower shock mounting point on the upper control arm, and the top of the shock tower. You can let the tension off of the installed spring by turning the nut on the threaded rod, make your adjustments or install your new spring, and then use the tool to compress the spring right in the car. The added bonus of this setup is the spring can't jump out at you, because the tool runs up thru the center of the spring, and its attached to the car, not just the spring. Good Luck and Be Safe.
Thanks. I think this one or one like it is what you used. Correct?

·
Registered
190 Posts
il66pony, that is the exact tool I have. Worth every penny I spent on it. It even worked on my buddy's 60's era Chevy with a similar style suspension setup.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts