Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading on another site that with the 2011 V6 adding a CAI would not really help add real HP, because FORD did such a good job with the factory one. Is this the general consensus or have others seen actual power increases?

·
Registered
100 Posts
I think the general consensus is to have a tune done along with the CAI to see any noticeable horsepower gains.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so even with the tuning which i admit I have no idea what that is, the exhaust the CAI will only add about 6HP total? For 1,000 worth of parts and labor?

B

·
0 Posts
If you look on JLT and AM sites you can see what the gains are. There are youtube videos as well.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I dont mean to sound cheap, but that does not sound like a good return on my investment. That being said, is that normal for the gains to be so small, or is that specific to this car because of what it already has.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
well seeing as how the CAI has a 1,000,000 mile air filter that you can just clean with some water and dry instead of buying new ones, you also get a cool whistle and deep sound coming from the interior, you also get more power, you also get a clean look under the hood, it wont pay for itself right off the bat but in the long run im happy i got it. with a tune it increases power and throttle response more than a tune and a stock air box.

B

·
0 Posts
Truthfully, only you can decide if it's worth it or not. Some people think it's worth it to spend $6k on a supercharger (me included).

I got about 10RWHP/RWTQ peak from the CAI alone, but there were greater gains in lower parts of the power band. However going from stock 87 octane to a CAI with a 93 octane tune netted me a 20RWHP and 23RWTQ peak increases with about 30RWTQ in some spots. Definitely worth it in my opinion and really wakes up the car. I also get better MPGs if I drive like a sane person.

·
Registered
585 Posts
From what I've read, getting a tune and CAI on the 2011-12 V6 will get you about 15 more HP and maybe about 10 or 12 more foot pounds of torque. That should give you a little more oomph when you hit the pedal. I'll probably get it myself once I drive my Mustang around for a bit and get used to it. Should only cost you about $650 for all of that, don't pay anyone to install it for you, it's a pretty easy self install.

·
Registered
585 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
I have been trying out various Bama tunes over time and so far my best performing tune is the Bama 93 performance with 29.7MPG 70/30 mixed driving (3.31 gears). I recently did a trip with the 93 race tune and got 31.8mpg.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok from what im reading it sounds like I will end up getting the CAI. you probably know my next question. What is a tune. Its clear you are not talking about what I call a tune up so please if you dont mind educate the ignorant just a little more.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I have been trying out various Bama tunes over time and so far my best performing tune is the Bama 93 performance with 29.7MPG 70/30 mixed driving (3.31 gears). I recently did a trip with the 93 race tune and got 31.8mpg.
Thanks, exactly the info I was looking for!

Ok from what im reading it sounds like I will end up getting the CAI. you probably know my next question. What is a tune. Its clear you are not talking about what I call a tune up so please if you dont mind educate the ignorant just a little more.
A tune is a reprogramming of the computer that controls the engine. You can get a tuner from here: SCT SF3/X3 Power Flash Tuner w/ 3 Free Custom Tunes (11-12 V6) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

A little explanation on tunes:
YouTube - ‪Tuning 101 - Bama Custom Tuning at AmericanMuscle‬‏

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.