Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is an old question but what is the best valued cai without a tune for a 2007 v6?

Thanks Much!!

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I would get a tune no matter what but if your bent on getting some performance and possibly running lean then im pretty sure K&N claims to not need a tune, i sure wouldn't wanna risk it though :nono:

·
Registered
94 Posts
I agree with what XChris says.... get the tuner first... If your engine runs lean you will be doing a major rebuild or needing to put in a new motor. Lean is a recepie for disaester.... and if Ford sees the engine was running lean they will know and you can kiss your Warranty bye bye... and the cost will fall on you. Better to listen to the advice from XChris and Stlwagon than take the chance of losing a motor. It is always better to be running slightly richer than slightly leaner.

Those are my thoughts from experience..... LOL

·
Registered
264 Posts
I put on the BBK without a tune as the manufacturer reccomends. I have had no issues but I the comments about "dissaster" concern me now.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I installed a AEM Brute Force CAI w/ a 91 octane tune on my V6. So when I sold my tuner (thinking I was going to sell the car). I kept the AEM knowing that it would still work w/o the tune. Well, after I drove the car w/o the tune I was surprised. To be honest, if I had to do it all over again, I'd just stick w/ the AEM and blow off the tune. The difference with and w/o the tune wasn't all that noticable. The AEM allows my car to breathe enough to reduce peddle lag (read: more "pep") And I switched back to 87 0ctane. I will say, if any mod is really worth getting, it's a better exhaust. The stock one stinks. So, get an exhaust and an AEM and you should be happy. Add a tune later if you think that isn't enough.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
you might not have felt that big of a difference but your car might have, your not going to "feel" your car going lean, your probably doing damage to your car without a tune but hey, its not my car, i just wouldn't wanna take the risk, its either $400 for tunes and a tuner or $3000+ for a new motor

·
Registered
209 Posts
Running lean simply means that the air/fuel mixture is not optimized and there is more air than there should be.

This means that the combustion in the cylinder is going to be hotter, hence, the motor will run hotter and be more susceptible to overheating.

Also, the air/fuel mixture is more susceptible to pre-ignition.

This means that the cylinder will fire before it's supposed to, causing a "pinging" or "rattling" noise when the engine is under load.

This pre-ignition, or pre-detonation, is what is most harmful to a motor. This is because the piston is not in the perfect position for the combustion.

The consequences of long-term and/or severe "pinging" are cracked pistons, wrist pin damage, and even holes in pistons.

Installing a CAI that leans out your motor is not in itself going to destroy it.

It's not great for it, but if you don't hear any pinging under load, then it's not bad enough to worry about.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Also, if you think your car is running lean, pull a spark plug and check.

If it's nice and light brown, then it's fine. If it's white, then you are running lean.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Running lean simply means that the air/fuel mixture is not optimized and there is more air than there should be.

This means that the combustion in the cylinder is going to be hotter, hence, the motor will run hotter and be more susceptible to overheating.

Also, the air/fuel mixture is more susceptible to pre-ignition.

This means that the cylinder will fire before it's supposed to, causing a "pinging" or "rattling" noise when the engine is under load.

This pre-ignition, or pre-detonation, is what is most harmful to a motor. This is because the piston is not in the perfect position for the combustion.

The consequences of long-term and/or severe "pinging" are cracked pistons, wrist pin damage, and even holes in pistons.

Installing a CAI that leans out your motor is not in itself going to destroy it.

It's not great for it, but if you don't hear any pinging under load, then it's not bad enough to worry about.
BINGO! No ping, no problem!

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
you said it yourself, running a cai without a tune in itself is not going to blow anything right away but your knowingly doing damage to your car, even if its slow its still damage

·
Registered
552 Posts
Running a CAI with no tune is disasterous? I think that is completely untrue.. A cold air intake is intended to put colder air in the engine, not more air.

·
Registered
197 Posts
S&B also makes a nice intake tht doesnt need a tune at all from what i hear

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Running a CAI with no tune is disasterous? I think that is completely untrue.. A cold air intake is intended to put colder air in the engine, not more air.
Not to be rude but you would be completely wrong in that statement, a cold air intake does infact take in more air

·
Registered
264 Posts
Obviously there are two mpoints of view on this.

I just can't believe reputable manufacturers would sell these CAI's and say they work without a tune knowing they could damage your motor. In the wonderful sue happy USA I would bet they would have been sued if it happened before. Then they would just put a small note on the packaging- "not reccomended without a tune."

·
Registered
88 Posts
So, if a cold air intake needs a tune but some manufacturers offer intakes that they claim don't (in writing BTW), then if anyone's car has an engine problem directly related to the CAI (like a blown engine, for instance) then the manufacturers are open to class action lawsuits. Now really, would you think the manufacturers would offer a product that they could lose their shirts on? I doubt it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
you guys must be talking about the generic tunes that come preinstalled in the tuners. a custom tune is above and beyond a canned tune. THERE IS A BIG difference with running a custom tune w/ CAI vs a CAI and NO tune.

·
Registered
751 Posts
So, if a cold air intake needs a tune but some manufacturers offer intakes that they claim don't (in writing BTW), then if anyone's car has an engine problem directly related to the CAI (like a blown engine, for instance) then the manufacturers are open to class action lawsuits. Now really, would you think the manufacturers would offer a product that they could lose their shirts on? I doubt it.
I think that the CAI that say you don't need a tune might be true, you might not need one. Is your car going to run lean? maybe. But bet CAI that require a tune will perform a lot better.

If you think about it, because a CAI changes how much air is in the piston, a tune is almost a must.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Obviously there are two mpoints of view on this.

I just can't believe reputable manufacturers would sell these CAI's and say they work without a tune knowing they could damage your motor. In the wonderful sue happy USA I would bet they would have been sued if it happened before. Then they would just put a small note on the packaging- "not reccomended without a tune."
You can't believe that? Every company that throws out a horsepower gain is subject to being sued, steeda claims to make 38 rwhp off a CAI, how many people actually made 38 rwhp off their CAI? Not very many but they aren't suing. This also goes for throttle body spacers and other things the forum members keep you away from, reputable companies make these things and claim they make horsepower but they don't, its all for the money, if K&N can claim to make horsepower and you don't need to spend another $300 or $400 then people will buy their CAI, K&N is also the CAI that had the lowest gains probably because if they had their intake force any more into the car they would have to say that it requires a tune because it would run the car too lean.

There is no way to prove that the CAI caused the problem even if it is the only mod on the car because it has to do with the air fuel ratio, unless you have a wideband AFR that you recorded with a video camera before your engine blew then there is no proof because once the engine is blown the AFR obviously will not read the same as it did when it was running do to leaks, broken parts, etc. My turbo kit did not say it needed a tune when i bought it, imagine if i never put a tune on the car lol.

Im not trying to start an argument over this but to put it simply, if your forcing more air into the engine without any changes to the computer you will be running leaner then you were stock, i guess thats the key word is leaner as opposed to just plain lean.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.