Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
I'm not too sure if I buy the idea that a CAI would make the engine run lean enough to blow the engine or damage it enough to need a new engine. Injen, MMR, BBK and Airaid make great intakes that do not require a tune and the "venturi technology" almost completely eliminates the need for a tune. Yea, a tune would make it perform optimaly, but the engines computer would recognize that it is running lean and would compensate. It's just like driving your car in the mountains. Because of the thin air, the computer has to compensate so the engine would run efficiently. The CAI's that don't require a tune are not usually as big as the CAI's that require one. And a dealership should NOT void your warranty because of a CAI making your engine run lean. Like I said, that is what the computer is for. I have been told by many people that work at dealerships that a CAI will NOT void your warranty.
Plus, show me proof of engines consistently being damaged by CAI's without a tune. That's what I would like to see before I have to buy a tune.
Oh, and a tune WILL void factory warranty, even if you take it off before you go back to the dealership. They can tell if your car has been tuned, they've got programs that can tell. The newer computers don't hide it anymore.. You might run into the dealerships that don't care, but those are pretty few and far between.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I'm not too sure if I buy the idea that a CAI would make the engine run lean enough to blow the engine or damage it enough to need a new engine. Injen, MMR, BBK and Airaid make great intakes that do not require a tune and the "venturi technology" almost completely eliminates the need for a tune. Yea, a tune would make it perform optimaly, but the engines computer would recognize that it is running lean and would compensate. It's just like driving your car in the mountains. Because of the thin air, the computer has to compensate so the engine would run efficiently. The CAI's that don't require a tune are not usually as big as the CAI's that require one. And a dealership should NOT void your warranty because of a CAI making your engine run lean. Like I said, that is what the computer is for. I have been told by many people that work at dealerships that a CAI will NOT void your warranty.
Plus, show me proof of engines consistently being damaged by CAI's without a tune. That's what I would like to see before I have to buy a tune.
Oh, and a tune WILL void factory warranty, even if you take it off before you go back to the dealership. They can tell if your car has been tuned, they've got programs that can tell. The newer computers don't hide it anymore.. You might run into the dealerships that don't care, but those are pretty few and far between.
I will bet my car that you can hide a tune from the dealer, tell me how i got a whole motor replaced after ford inspectors came out for two weeks trying to find reasons to void my warranty. They looked at the computer and guess what, it was the stock ford tune, no evidence of any other tune ever being on there, governor was on, rev limiter, so they knew i didnt go turbo or supercharged so they looked for nitrous the whole time and since i never had nitrous they gave up after 2 weeks and gave me a new motor so im the proud owner of a 06 mustang with a 08 motor :hihi:

As for the CAI, I believe that some of the smaller almost useless CAIs such as the K&N might not be a problem because yes the computer can somewhat compensate but then again we're relying on this computer to compensate and tell us if we were running lean when i had 4 cracked pistons, a blown head gasket and cylinder 4 was down and i didnt even thrown a check engine code, i wouldn't trust it, if your going to buy a CAI just suck it up and buy a tuner

·
Registered
29 Posts
yes if you change the car back to factory tune, the only thing ford can see is the last time the computer was reset ( which can happen when you disconnect your battery).

·
Registered
13 Posts
an observation

Hello, new to the mustang world, but I've been involved in this same debate with my Trans Am people. I have an 08 mustang but I also have an '86 TA. Last year I added a CAI system and noticed a marked increase in "pep" as someone put it. The biggest improvement isn't always the volume of air, but the more free flowing of it. My system was able to compensate for the different airflow without throwing codes (at least in that case the car is programmed with various thresholds for acceptable stuff )

That being said, yea running too lean for too long could have some impact, but I just haven't ever seen any real problem with the basic CAI setups that would/should cause any more damage to the engine versus how we tend to drive them :nogrinner . Like I said, I added a CAI with no chip mods to my 305 and did feel and hear a difference (I think that was the biggest thing for me...didn't sound so restricted under the hood).

Just my 2 cents though, enjoy!:wavey

·
Registered
751 Posts
On monday I installed a JLT CAI. Then after I tried to upload the tune, the car wouldn't start (was the problem with the costum tune itself). Then I returned it to stock tune and started the car for a second to see if it works. The car did start but the engine was running badly. The engine fluctuated by several hundred RPMs. Bottom line is tt didn't sound good. Then after I fixed the tune problem, the car ran perfectly. So I say, YES, a tune is required.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I installed a injen cai & it wouldn't run good untill I put the tune in. it idled fine but when I walked on it, it would cut out like traction control was on or something even at 60kmh. But anyways I cant run mine without a tune! Just glad I had a tuner or I would have been wasting my time with just the CAI

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a S&B CAI. I bought it because it did not require a tune.
Plus the make intakes for Ford.
Later I purchased a Diablo and a tune from Bamachips.
The tune diffently helps!

·
Registered
889 Posts
There are 2 types of CAIs. Those that don't require a tune and those that do.

1. Those that don't- They put the same volume of air through as the factory stock air box. Because of this, performance gains are minimal because ALL you're doing is bringing in colder air.

2. Those that do- They have larger tubes and filters to bring in a larger volume of air so a tune is required to compensate for the increased airflow by remapping the air/fuel tables.

A good example of a CAI that works for both is one that I think is made by Demolet. If you don't use a tune, there's a baffle installed in the tube to restrict and cut down on airflow to keep it in factory stock specs. When you get a custom tune, you remove the baffle and get the increased airflow and the power that goes with it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hi,

I have a 2007 V6 and I am about to purchase either the AEM Brute Force Intake or the K&N FIPK Intake. I am not sure if I "need" a tune or not. AEM says I don't but now I am nervous. If I truly must purchase a tuner I just need to know what to get.

I was looking at the SCT because I keep hearing scary stuff about the Predator.

Anyways, if I do need a tuner will the SCT (X3 I think?) work with either of those intakes? Also, I was curious about the Brenspeed and BamaChips tunes that come with the SCT tuner. Can you still customize things manually without scewing up the custom tunes?

I really have no knowledge when it comes to tuners beyond what I have read on this forum.

I would really appreciate any help.

Thanks very much

Mike

·
Registered
298 Posts
Airaid CAI's (BTW, they make the ones for Roush) do not require a tune. BUT, they have a removable insert (I think it's called a Modular Venturi Tube) that you can take out to open up the air volume which does then require a tune. I talked to the techs at both Airaid and Roush (remember they are identical except for the name) before I bought mine and they confirmed the fact that they will not run lean or throw any codes and they were correct.

With the Airaid and without a tune there was a better 'seat of the pants' performance feel and a much improved sound, much more muscular especially under acceleration. It looks great installed BTW.

Their cold air dam box is the best fitting and best designed one on the market. It is molded to fit all the factory grommets and mounting holes and seal to the hood perfectally. It is not just a generaric square box. Look up Roush or Airaid on-line and then call them and talk to a tech and they will answer your questions.

·
Registered
15 Posts
When finding a tune for my cold air intake, what exactly am I looking for? As a footnote, my knowledge of tuning is minimal.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.