Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my car came with an ebay cai (metal) that was painted with dupli-color metalcast anodized blue and it is almost all flaked off and looks like garbage (probally because of no primer or prep)

what kind of paint setup do you have/would recommend?

I'm think of going with black, but im also on the fence about going for a brushed aluminum look but i think that will take a while with a drill press.

Any input would be appreciated

·
Registered
413 Posts
Where'd you get your CAI from?

And I'd do like a gloss black if that's the color of your car. I think CAI look good if they match the car colors.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it came with my car but the previous owner got it from ebay

·
Registered
27 Posts
Try to get a high heat enamel. First remove all the old crap paint by buying paint remover. Its a spray bottle, but its like a foam. Unbolt the intake and do it somewhere safe. Don't get the remover on your skin and especially not your eyes.. stuff burns..

Since the intake is metal, try to find a latex based enamel, it will slowly "bond" with the material and will last much longer.

That's just my experience.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Yes - prep is very important!! I don't know about needing the paint remover... but you should be able to just sand off all the old paint and scuff up the metal a bit. That will help the paint stick very well. And as someone suggested, I would probably use some kind of high heat paint, but it doesn't have to be that extreme engine block paint! :shigrin

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
great, thanks for the help.

i will keep ya posted as i go

1 - 6 of 6 Posts