Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am ready to purchase a CAI for my 03' GT. It seems like I saw somewhere that once a CAI is installed, it needs to be tuned accordingly to maximize it's performance. Not sure how to go about this if indeed this is true.

Can anyone provide details regarding this? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-Tuck

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
You can get a tuner like Xcal or Diablo with it so you can get a little more hp out of it, a little more with a dyno tune. You can get the cai with out the tune though.

·
Registered
175 Posts
if im not mistaken, only the new S197's (2005-present) need to be tuned once installing a CAI. I have a JLT Ram Air on my 01 and no tuner, no problems

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
Correct. the S197's need a tune on most CAI's. There are a few that don't need a tune, but to me, they don't produce the most power.
Most pre 05's don't need a tune at all.

S

·
0 Posts
The Spanish Oak processors in the new S197's are very tempermental when it comes to messing with the a/f mixture.

Your 03 will do just fine with a CAI and no tune. Just disconnect the battery before the install and after you drive for a while it will settle in. You should consider a plenum/ TB combo next for a nice, crisp throttle response.

You can always get a handheld tuner down the road and either have a custom tune made for your mods or use a canned email tune. They'll generally squeeze a bit more power out of a stock set up but not as much as on an S197.

Do you have your eye on a specific CAI? I installed the generic 96-04 model CAI from American Muscle (only like $85) and it looks and performs great. All the major names make great CAI's but a lot of times you'll be paying for the name.

Just an fyi...

:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Smackmaster for the 411. I was eyeing either a K/N CAI, mainly for their name and reputation...kind of going off "you get what you pay for".

I'd like to hear if anyone else agrees that less expensive CAI's are just as dependable from a performance and upkeep standpoint...and maybe I could even get some recommendations before I go drop 300$.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm about to do the same thing for my 2000 gt and get the k&n fipk. From what I hear it is well worth it and you will not have any regrets with it so i think its worth it. I prefer going name brand no matter what... Eeven tho its just the air intake thats just me tho not trying to hate on people who dont :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Thanks Smackmaster for the 411. I was eyeing either a K/N CAI, mainly for their name and reputation...kind of going off "you get what you pay for".

I'd like to hear if anyone else agrees that less expensive CAI's are just as dependable from a performance and upkeep standpoint...and maybe I could even get some recommendations before I go drop 300$.
I have the generic am cai. I've never had a problem with it nor have I heard anybody who has.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.