Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which one do you think would give out more horsepower? A chrome BBK fenderwell intake, or a plastic K&N intake? I know the chrome would heat up, but would placing the filter in the fenderwell overcome the heat?

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,432 Posts
V6racer04 said:
Which one do you think would give out more horsepower? A chrome BBK fenderwell intake, or a plastic K&N intake? I know the chrome would heat up, but would placing the filter in the fenderwell overcome the heat?

Thanks
The K&N will outperform the BBK, for a number of reasons, including heat sink. the effect occurs with the matal intakes, no matter where the air is drawn from.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,432 Posts
V6racer04 said:
Does the K&N FIPK intake require a performance tune like some of the other CAIs?
none of them should require a tune, unless you swap the MAF. The "required" tune just bumps the numbers of metal CAIs, which are no better than a drop in when the metal heats up.

That said, if you DID get a tune, it would yield significantly better numbers, but that would come from the tune, not the CAI.

Without the tune you'll pick up around 10 hp, with it you may pick up 15-17. If it's cold outside, those numbers would go down .. .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
no way you will get 10 rwhp on a CAI. just buy yourself an Ebay CAI you will get the same gain of any and spend a lot less.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
well you dont have to listen to me and you can go ahead and pay alot for the K&N setup or you can just spend like $45 and get something that is going to give you the same amount of HP your choice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
982 Posts
I would say if you want the CAI to look better, then go with the chrome one... but it will heat up, and then its not as cold as the plastic one... since plastic does not get as hot as the chrome one would
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Get the one that looks best. The hp difference will be so small you will not notice the difference.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,432 Posts
hawks05 said:
no way you will get 10 rwhp on a CAI. just buy yourself an Ebay CAI you will get the same gain of any and spend a lot less.
dude, you are sooo off.

Several people have bought those pieces of crap (seems like 1 per month) -if they don't have a vacuum leak of some kind, they rust, If they don't have a vacuum leak/rust, they don't produce any more than 5 hp on the dyno, which is what you get from a drop in filter.


The DeMolet DenseCharger & K&N show time and again 9+ hp gains, and in 85+ degree weather show 12+ hp over stock, or metal on a 99+ v6

Perhaps you live in a colder location, where it doesn't have as much of an effect, but the numbers are indisputable in warmer climates.

Or you have a pre-99 largely stock vehicle . . . Or someone's feeding you a bunch of crap. But you're way off here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
nope live in texas in fact used to live in plano now live down closer to houston. never had a problem with the CAI i got from ebay but i wanted to go for a better look and went and got a MAC brand new for $65 shipped and put a big ol K&N on it i only use K&N air filters
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,432 Posts
hawks05 said:
nope live in texas in fact used to live in plano now live down closer to houston. never had a problem with the CAI i got from ebay but i wanted to go for a better look and went and got a MAC brand new for $65 shipped and put a big ol K&N on it i only use K&N air filters
HP motorsports here in Omaha, the Ford Racing Shop in Kansas City AND MMFF showed huge gains with DeMolet and K&N. the metals hung in there until the 2-3rd pass.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
well when the temps oout side reach 117 i dont think it really matters much plus good luck find a tuneable induction system for my year one thats full from the TB down
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,432 Posts
hawks05 said:
well when the temps oout side reach 117 i dont think it really matters much plus good luck find a tuneable induction system for my year one thats full from the TB down
well, that's because it doesn't make any difference -the intake can't flow any more.

although you CAN flow a lot more than a split-port with a port & polish. Check out Jose's ride in this months MMFF.

www.rpm-mustangs.com can do it for you, if you don't mind waiting a few months.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,432 Posts
hawks05 said:
i talk to mik(rpm-mustangs.com) all the time
No wonder they're always behind!!

:laughlitt
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top