Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which is better cold air intake? the type that mounts to the fenderwell or the "other"? curently running the "other" was wodering if its was worth the switch?

·
Registered
191 Posts
First and foremost how often do you drive the car. I had a inner fender cold air and every time it rained the filter would get a little wet. I bought the ebay cold air kit and just eliminated the 90 degree bend to keep the filter in the engine bay. The ebay kit is slightly bigger than the bbk kit and only cost $35 free shipping!! Have had no problems with it. Then i got some sheet metal and made a box around the filter but left the top open so i could check on the filter anytime the hood was up! Believe it or not i noticed a considerable difference in the way the motor performed. I love my custom box. Screw all the haters, i felt a difference. Also on the four cylinder models theres a plastic tubby piece that draws air from in front of the radiator and carry's it to right under the air filter. That installed with out a problem and i noticed a difference from that too. hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Which is better cold air intake? the type that mounts to the fenderwell or the "other"? curently running the "other" was wodering if its was worth the switch?
JB88FOX,

This is a very commonly asked question. Both the cold air intake and ram air intake will make a noticeable difference! The cold air does pull in cooler/fresher air, however the power difference between the two intakes would be just a few horsepower.

If you're interested in upgrading to a cold air system we can definitely help you out! Our Mustang Experts are here Monday-Friday from 9AM-9PM EST and Saturdays from 9AM-5:30PM EST. If you want to hit them up, their number is 866.727.1266. I can also have one of them call you directly.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions!

- Dan

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
to me i would think the fender mount would be better, but you see about equal amount running both so i wasn't sure if there was a big differ or not!

·
Banned
1,207 Posts
The air under the hood is heated from the engine - just put your hand on your filter after driving it. The airflow under the fender keeps it cooler, also farther from the engine is cooler.

The problem with a fender mount intake is pita to get to and, like sad, it can get water splashed on it from the tires.

The difference between them is small.

If you do buy a new one the American Muscle branded one is good and it is cheap.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so really the only down side is that it gets wet but, there is no noticble gain, so prolly not worth spemding the money on it if i already have under the hood cold air

·
Registered
191 Posts
exactly and who wants sand and water getting on the the one filter that helps your motor do its job!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts