Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you upgrade the air intake without doing the tune with it?

Daniel Maples
2010 V6 Mustang Pony edition

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
yes....................

·
Registered
415 Posts
I got the MMR CAI that specifically said it did not require a tune. It did. Unless you want to run around with your Check Engine Light on.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,863 Posts
Certain intakes can be run without a tune. Specifically, those that do not change the diameter of the MAF housing from the stock dimensions.

·
Registered
60 Posts
You can run it without a tune but tuning it will bring the best out of it such as increased HP.
I was looking into a CAI and I remember seeing that without a tune you can get a HP increase of like 10 but if you tune it, it'll go up to 15-20

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Your check engine light WILL come on. Plus like others have said, a tune will bring out the most potential of your upgrades.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I agree with the previous poster (mrt303). I took the two step approach. Originally got the K&N that doesn't require a tune. I noticed a modest (if any) difference in performance. The car woke up though once I got a tune.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Your check engine light WILL come on. Plus like others have said, a tune will bring out the most potential of your upgrades.
Your CEL will not come on with a K&N or other tuneless CAI. You just won't notice the performance difference until you get a tune.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I ran the bbk for 6 months before I tuned it..never shot a check engine light at me...I would make sure you use at least 89 octane gas though or you'll prolly get one....

·
Registered
296 Posts
Unless you're getting a super-great deal on a CAI, I'd spend the extra to get a tuner combo. Eventually you're gonna want the tuner for other mods. Saves money in the long run.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I recently bought and installed the BBK intake from American Muscle which doesn't require a tune. I've been very happy with it and haven't had any problems running 87 octane for weeks now. Plus it looks great!

BBK's is also one of the least expensive intakes at $200, and I'm very happy with the quality. Check it out yourself:

BBK Cold Air Intake (2005-2010 V6) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

Plus AM gives you free shipping and no tax, and if you input the code "summerstang" at checkout you get 5 bucks off!

G

·
I have the K & N FIPK that doesn't require a tune on my '07 - they key is, buying one that specifically states "No Tune Required" and one from a competent, longstanding company. My engine light has never come on in regards to the CAI and having no tune. There was also a responsiveness that wasn't there before the install - and that is with no tune. Frankly, I don't care about the studies that have been done - how "just" a CAI does nothing - I know my car and it is more responsive with the CAI. :winks

Not getting a tune, because I have the extended warranty. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
25 Posts
I guess you could use the K&N, but if you're gonna spend the money, why not plop the bucks into the bank and when you get the $$$ saved get the C&L and Bamatunes and be happy happy joy joy?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have the MMR cai and never once has the check engine light come on. I dont have a tuner yet, but it is soon to happen.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Not getting a tune, because I have the extended warranty. :bigthumbsup
I'm almost 100% sure (please correct me guys if I'm wrong) that getting a tune will not mess with your warranty. What will mess with the warranty is getting power adders like a turbo or a Supercharger that is not installed by Ford. Otherwise they have to be able to prove that the tuner caused whatever it is that they are claiming would void the warranty.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
sorry judi!!!!

but i just dont see the point of getting a CAI without a tuner. yes, you can get some gains from a K&N or a BBK, but tis been dyno proven that JLT, and C&L (those that require a tune) get the most gains on the dyno, EVEN IF you tune a BBK intake. tuners are a great tool to have around the garage too. i would just spend the 550...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.